Drip tray with glass washer - makes me hap-hap-happppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He got the flush mount. I have a 36" surface mount version and love it! :D

1647183997939.png

Cheers!

I have a brand new surface mount that I have had for several years.
Still debating the best way to supply water to it and need to drill holes in the stainless steel top of my kegerator.
I guess that I'll use a small keg to supply the water for it.

Which one did you get?

https://www.micromatic.com/recessed...flush-mount-drip-tray-glass-rinser-dp-220d-gr
Yep, what Trippr said. I connected it to water supply and drain in the wall. Had to add a pressure reducer (60 psi -> 15 psi) - that's what that white fitting is under the counter.

Bar top is plywood now, but I'm having a granite top cut for it right now. You can also see my cobra tap in the background - I have a glycol chiller that will keep that tap frosted. Just need to get it connected. Glycol chiller will be on the outside of the house and feed through the wall and into the kegerator.

Does the water need to be cold?

Something to consider to add to the countertop since you have a glycol chiller, while I was in Albuquerque airport, at the bar there these little metal discs that were tapped into a glycol chiller that one could sit their glass on and it would keep the glass cold.

Does the water need to be cold?

Something to consider to add to the countertop since you have a glycol chiller, while I was in Albuquerque airport, at the bar there these little metal discs that were tapped into a glycol chiller that one could sit their glass on and it would keep the glass cold.

That's an awesome idea! My bar isn't a sit-down bar though, it's just a nook in the corner of my TV room with the beer and a wine fridge (which also stores commercial beers, etc).

For rinsing? I dunno, but I plumbed mine into the cold water line. I also had hot available, but I figure at the usage rate I'd never actually get hot water out of it.

So it is just tap water, not chilled water, correct?
I had been considering putting a small keg in the kegerator and running chilled water and pushing it with gas, as I don't have running water in the bar area.

So it is just tap water, not chilled water, correct?
I had been considering putting a small keg in the kegerator and running chilled water and pushing it with gas, as I don't have running water in the bar area.
Yea, just tap water. Your idea would work great. In fact, it's a pretty ingenious idea. What about the drain? I suppose you just have a bucket under there. I'd be worried about some yahoo (or me) dumping half a beer in there though, and the resulting issues.

Two thoughts, I have a container that I could use to catch the rinse water and it would stay in the kegerator and the evaporator would likely keep it dry due to the minimal usage, might need to add a wick to the jug. Second idea would be to run a line down to the evaporator drip tray, its about 10x25x1 and let it drain to there and the fan would keep it dry. But like you said, it some yahoo were to dump a beer, there would be issues. But I have the kegerator behind the bar, similar to a commercial setup with bar stools, bar top, etc.

fwiw, this is how I set up the rinser in my keezer. I periodically refill the water reservoir (the 2.5g keg) via its dedicated fill line, and which then becomes a self-pressurized source of cold water. Then there's the required pressure regulator mentioned by passedpawn, then up to the rinser. The tray drains into the 3g keg which I do have to remove periodically to empty. Both fill and vent ports are out of sight at the back of the keezer...

Cheers!

1647205167744.png

Right? There's like a dozen HBT-ers I want to visit just to visit.
Not in a weird stalking silence of the lambs way of course.

Just a dozen?
That kinda bums me out, I feel like a slacker.

Open offer, drop by, bring some of your best homebrew to share along with your best recipes and we will brew a couple of batches of beer (I'm set up to brew two ten gallon batches in tandem), drink beer, cook out and tell lies.

What regulator are people using?
I'm starting to redo my bar and finally install my rinser. I was going to just use on that's mostly used for RV use.
Mine will be a permanent install. I'm casting it into a concrete counter top next to my sink.

I used this from micromatic. I removed the barbs and put 1/2" OD push-to-connect on there (from Lowe's). You can see this exact thing in the little video I posted above.

https://www.micromatic.com/drip-tray-parts/in-line-water-pressure-regulator-1750352c
View attachment 763844

What does the water pressure need to be for a glass rinser?
What issues does one have if the pressure is higher or lower?
Since one isn't keeping the glass on the rinser long enough to actually chill the glass, does it really matter if the water is chilled or room temperature?
The idea of a rinser, is to break the surface tension on the glass to minimize foaming, correct?

I've had one for 3+ years and am just now getting around to getting it installed.

Yup, 15 psi. Presumably the risk of excessive pressure is blowing out the rinser valve itself.

fwiw, my rinser water is ~36°F and just 2-3 seconds on the rinser will significantly drop the glass temperature.
In light of that I would say the rinser's job is to neutralize nucleation sites and bring the glass temperature closer to the beer temperature.
All leading to keeping the original carbonation in the beer :)

Cheers!

Mascarello granite?

Not sure. Neighbors were ripping out a kitchen (they want white marble) and tossed 4 slabs of this stuff. I just grabbed a piece and had somebody polish and cut it for me. It has a lot of these opalescent flecks in it, so if the light hits it right it has interesting sparkly constellations. They bookmatched the back- and side-splashes so that the markings flowed from the counter to the sides.

The picture in this thread looks like mascarello, with lots of cream and various orange-ish oxidized earth tone blends for which that the type is known. The darker pic in the other thread you posted today doesn't look like it, but that may be the shot. There's a huge process filling voids and pits in the type, and the producers use all kinds of epoxies with glitter and stuff.

Nicely done, btw, but I am waiting to see a frosted cobra ;)

Cheers

Hello there beer and kegerator experts!! I dont know a whole lot about this stuff so I am desperate to find some answers on a kegerator I have going into a clients new build. We are doing an undercounter kegerator with a cabinet front to make it look seamless. The CounterTop will be marble. My client is really hoping to have a drip tray that sinks into the counter with a functioning drain and a glass rinse option. Is there any way to make this work with our built in unit right below it, given that the unit comes right to the underside of the counter ???
Or how are these trays usually planned for and made feasible!? Maybe I need to recommend a different setup than the built in unit my client is eyeing!?
Any input or feedback would be appreciated!

The problem is "turning the corner" on plumbing to the rinser and from the drain. This image of a small rinser shows the typical plumbing fit-up found on most trays, and illustrates the challenge. If a counter top is thick enough or if there's actually some dead space between fridge and counter top or a combination of both one might be able to trench the underside to fit elbows and run appropriate water and drain tubes past the outline of the fridge. The length of the threaded drain receiver is roughly 3/4", while the rinser stem is closer to a couple of inches and is likely the governing dimension in the end...

1659189780650.png

Cheers!

Back