Drip Tray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eubanks

Reaction score
So I recently switched from picnic dispensers to shanks and faucets. I am needing a drip tray and don't feel like spending a lot of money to catch a few drips of beer.

Has anyone built their own or found a cheaper version or alternative?

My faucets are 10" apart so it would need to be at lease 12" long.

Look at your local big box hardware store for a wood chip smoker box, they are stainless steel, the top has holes in it to let drips through, and with a few screws or super strong magnets to hold it in place (I assume you have shanks going through a fridge door) you should be good to go.

Thanks. I have a wooden collar built on top of a freezer that my shanks go through but i could screw a tray into the wood.

I checked out some wood chip trays online and they're pretty pricey also. I could weld a small tray together but it would be carbon steel and subject to rusting...

Anyone seen a platic drip tray anywhere?

A buddy of mine took one of those metal buckets from a spent citronella candle and hangs it off the tap.

Try this--a 14" mud pan. I use strong magnets to hold mine on. If need be you can make spacers to make it sit correctly. Works like a charm and cheap!

6937607781077lg.jpg

Try this--a 14" mud pan. I use strong magnets to hold mine on. If need be you can make spacers to make it sit correctly. Works like a charm and cheap!

+1 on this. I've seen both metal (stainless??) and black plastic ones of these. I use a plastic one since the body of my keezer if painted black. I put 4 magnets recycled from an old hard drive on it and it sticks like a charm.

A wallpaper tray that lots use for sanitation duties can serve as double duty. I am going to go this route after bumping out the face of my keezer to get the tap handles farther away from the lid. Now my magnetic drip tray needs to move out ~2".

IMG_7088.jpg

I built my own out of wood in order to match my kegerator collar.

I had a bandsaw so it was pretty easy to do. The drip tray is about 5" wide. I started with a 3/4" thick piece of wood. I set it on edge and sawed off about 1/4" and set that piece aside. I then used a jig saw to cut out the center of the remaining board leaving about 1/2" around the edges. I then glued the bottom (first piece) back on. After lightly sanding I used 2 part epoxy in order to make it 'liquid' proof. For the center part I used a piece of plastic salvaged from an old flourescent light fixture.

I attached the drip tray with 2 pelican brackets from Lowes.

To clean I just slide it out and spray it down with a water hose (in looking at the pic. it's time for me to do that now).

IMG_0361.jpg

That looks really sharp and I like the build your own style. I think I am going to go for something similar to this.

By the way, nice wheels on your cornhole boards. I just made 2 sets this fall.

That looks really sharp and I like the build your own style. I think I am going to go for something similar to this.

By the way, nice wheels on your cornhole boards. I just made 2 sets this fall.

You don't miss a thing! I used 3/4" plywood so they boards are quite heavy.

The nice thing about using wood for the drip tray is that you can custom build it to the size you want and are not limited to the pre-manufactured sizes.

I have a large drip tray on order but what I am using now are basically plastic parts bins. They have a little lip so they can be hung on a plastic strip. They came with the kegerator which I purchased used but I think they can be found at Harbor Freight.

driptray.jpg

Back