Dry yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. So I just got two one gallon recipe kits from northern Brewer today. I ordered the zombie dirt, & the dead ringer. The zombie dirt came with S-04 ( which I don't like) I must have overlooked that , because I would have ordered a packet of US-05 to ferment with in place of the s-04. The dead ringer was supposed to come with US-05.... which it didn't. They gave me instead a packet of ( according to the label) y444 American ale dry beer yeast. It's about the size of a standard 11.5 gram packet, but it's about half full. I was really looking forward to brewing the zombie dirt tomorrow & was thinking of using that y444 yeast. The thing is I've never heard of it before, so I was wondering if anyone has used it before. And will it be ok to use it on my zombie dirt? Thanks for any help in advance.

Never heard of that strain, but NB, in my experience, is really good about customer service. I know you said you wanted to brew ASAP, but if you contact them, I bet they ship out some 05 ASAP to you since it was their mistake. I'd be hesitant to brew with a yeast you didn't want.

m44 is very slow starting but once you use is very clean quick yeast as yeast cake and is my go to yeast. Stouts, pales And IPAs

So what would be the highest the fermentation temp could go before I start to get off flavors in the beer. Im talking about if I use the s-04. The lowest I can get Ambient temperature is around 71-72 degrees. Is that too high for the s-04?

Back