dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohanski

Reaction score
I am starting a batch right now and I am going to use dry yeast instead of liquid. Tha package says to float the yeast is water for 15 minutes then stir. Then add wort to yeast until wort and yeast are the same temp. Do I have to do all of this or can I just pitch the dry yeast package into the carboy and let it go? No stirring.

I add the yeast directly all the time. Some dry yeast packets don't even recommend rehydrating first. It's probably more of an issue if you're pitching into a high gravity beer.

If I recall, you're trying to nip an infection problem. In that case, I definately would avoid any "extra" steps that may give bacteria a chance.

I used to pitch into the wort directly with Nottingham, but I try to hydrate first now. Never seemed have issues before though.

depends on the beer gravity. high OG wort makes it really hard for the dry yeast to 'wake up'.
if its over 1.060, I'd put it in water first for 15 mins so it can rehydrate properly, then pitch.

This one is about 1.045 so probably no problem.
It better wake up because the early bird catches the worm.

Latest posts

Back