During de-gassing, do you remove top goo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you remove it?

• Total voters

SimPilot

Reaction score
See attached image. The goo - do you remove it or just steer it up and let it go?
Clipboard01.jpg

If you didn't treat the skins with Campden or pasteurize your juice in any way, you're at risk of having a wild yeast or an infection of some kind. Not that all wild yeasts are bad, it's just that this may not turn out how you would expect with 71B.

you're at risk of having a wild yeast or an infection of some kind.

There is that, but I think my initial pitch overpowered natural yeast and infection is not happening when I'm sitting at 1010 after 4 days.
I suppose you know those skins will release tannins.
I thought white grapes produces almost none , but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Edit: I've also did light skimming daily .... if I don't remove it now, I'll have to remove it at sometime in the future. Maybe my logic is off, but that goo could produced off-taste also.

There is that, but I think my initial pitch overpowered natural yeast and infection is not happening when I'm sitting at 1010 after 4 days.

I thought white grapes produces almost none , but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Edit: I've also did light skimming daily .... if I don't remove it now, I'll have to remove it at sometime in the future. Maybe my logic is off, but that goo could produced off-taste also.
Seeds stems and skins of grapes contain tannins and alcohol must be present to extract them. I only know this in certainty because I did a little search before making a blush apple cider.

The cap you’re referring to as goo is yeast and proteins it will drop And become lees on its own as fermentation slows. The less you mess with a fermentation the fewer opportunities there are for contamination and oxidation. When I’m degassing mead in the early stages I swirl the fermentor while it stays closed.

Back