EF anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
We missed the anniversary of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. The new guys (and ladies) probably won't know, but Edmund Fitzgerald is somewhat of a long time fixture around here. Some say that it was a crappy injoke that should be left to the annals of history, but I disagree. Everyone celebrate EF in the best way you know how.

We missed the anniversary of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. The new guys (and ladies) probably won't know, but Edmund Fitzgerald is somewhat of a long time fixture around here. Some say that it was a crappy injoke that should be left to the annals of history, but I disagree. Everyone celebrate EF in the best way you know how.

I knew about the anniversay- it's a big deal up here. They mark the occasion with special events, right where it went down.

I will definitely celebrate EF, and remember.

BTW- crappy injoke and annals of history is brilliant! Must have taken you hours to think that up, ETJ.

I actually ignored posting about it here. Like Yoop said it's a pretty big deal in maritime communities, like where I live, and in Detroit where the maritime's sailor's cathedral. Don't forget, 29 people did lose their lives on 10 Nov when the ship went down, and I remember the storm and hearing the reports on the news. I've actually attended some memorial events on it, and I used to do a tribute show when I did radio.

I felt that posting about the real tragedy on that day here would be the BUTT of many jokes. :D

(BUTT today is another story.)

I remember the ship and her lost crew. But I do not remember the actual event. Too young.

The song always gives me a tear though.

I'm not really familiar with the joke, and although I could probably guess, I will leave it well enough alone.

Bumping to commemorate the anniversary. 36 yrs ago today. I don't usually buy commercial beer, but I'll pick up a sixer of Great Lakes EF tonight and hoist a few. RIP

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to see the Fitz (as we called it) at the old Lorain port authority on Erie Avenue in Lorain,OH on our way to Hot Waters to go fishing. It completely dwarfed all the local lake freighters. I was always taken aback by it's sheer size.
I wondered why we didn't see it one cold day of fishing. Got home & saw the news. I couldn't believe it was gone that quick. Being overloaded (tacanite,I think),I'll always believe it took a header. Tough too when you realize a good many of them were from Northern Ohio. Just had to get in that one last run...:(

Back