El Dorado hops...holy smokes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stosh

Reaction score
I brewed a recipe that Remmy posted in 2015. It uses Centennial and Columbus hops.

When I was getting the hops from the freezer I noticed the El Dorado I bought specifically for another beer I was going to try. For whatever reason my intuition said "Put two ounces of El Dorado in". So I did.

The hop additions were at 10 min and 5 min. I put the El Dorado in last at both times and was blown away at the aroma it seemed to generate. It filled my garage and house with massive aroma of citrus and floral. I was floored. Has anyone else notice that brewing with El Dorado?

I'll be experimenting with them a little more often.

I just started using it. I "think" I like it. I did a split batch one dry hopped with El Dorado one without. I liked the El Dorado one better. I was afraid of getting red Jolly rancher but I didnt get that. I think I got some sweet candy/ citrus out of it that I liked. Will be using it more often

I too like El Dorado. Not as potent as the known hops -everybody uses -, but the aroma and flavour are very good: citrus, green, unriped pineapple and some candied fruit - in my case, it was cherries or at least that was what my brain told me. Has similarities with other fruity/citrusy varieties, but those unripe pineapple and candy-like flavours are pretty unique.

I used it once. I brewed an IPA with it and Nelson Sauvin. I don't remember it being any different than any other hop while brewing.

Hop and aroma probably faded a lot since life got in the way and it was a couple of weeks after dry hopping that it got packaged. It was good but not great.

Sweet candy/citrus, fruity/citrusy, candy-like and for me floral.

When I go down to the basement now I find myself staring at the fermenter in hopes that it will finish sooner. Can't wait to try this...

I too like El Dorado

What recipe do you like the most using these hops?

Just like all hops it very much depends on the quality of the hops you get. There’s a ton of el dorado grown all over the place so it can vary.

I think it’s maybe the fruitiest hop when it’s good. It has this candy like flavor to it. A lot of people say it can smell/taste like jolly ranchers. It can also be incredibly pineapple forward. For me they have this odd floral/stank to them at times. Almost like rotting fruit instead of bright clean fruit.

I think they’re great hops to use to amplify the fruity aspect of a hoppy beer but used massively on their own some aspect of them can be very off putting.

I've almost finished working through a lb I bought last summer. I've liked them for the most part. Mostly paired with other citrus/fruit forward hops but one time I did a El Dorado/Columbus batch that was very interesting. One batch I did get the sweet hard candy thing coming through. I'll definitely continue to use them on NEIPA recipes.

I am going to use a couple ounces in tandem with some Denali as a dry hop for a pineapple sour hoping to really make the pineapple fruitiness pop. Pretty excited to try both of them out.

I absolutely love El Dorado hops...one of my favorites in a NEIPA. That being said, they really need something with them or they can get a bit cloying. I like to pair El Dorado with Columbus or Simcoe where I use the other hop as a late addition or WP addition. Then use the El Dorado in WP and only ED in the dry hop.

Juicy, aromatic and wonderful with a hint of dank or pine to keep it from getting overwhelming.

I did El Dorado/Idaho 7/Columbus in a NEIPA and it's super dank and citrusy. Pretty much perfect IMO.

Latest posts

Back