Electronic Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxTheSpy

Reaction score
I'm working on a system (Its almost ready) that will allow me to monitor my mead. It will include a page per batch I make, including a unique batch ID, the name, the ingredients and a place to input notes on when I pitched yeast and energiser.

It will also allow me to monitor PH balance, temperature, take gravity readings as well as monitor airlock activity.

If any of you can think of anything else I should be monitoring let me know and Ill try and integrate it. Im trying to build it under $150.00 If you are interested, please let me know and Ill get in contact with you and let you know how it goes in testing.

Turbidity? It would probably be useful for telling you when to rack, and the sensor is pretty cheap.

I would be interested in hearing what you have done and or are doing as this progresses. How far down this road are you going? I would consider evaluating Oxygen for yeast health.

I'm working on a system (Its almost ready) that will allow me to monitor my mead. It will include a page per batch I make, including a unique batch ID, the name, the ingredients and a place to input notes on when I pitched yeast and energiser.

It will also allow me to monitor PH balance, temperature, take gravity readings as well as monitor airlock activity.

If any of you can think of anything else I should be monitoring let me know and Ill try and integrate it. Im trying to build it under $150.00 If you are interested, please let me know and Ill get in contact with you and let you know how it goes in testing.

Would the system be taking PH measurements for you automatically? That would certainly be interesting. I posted an inquiry on the automation forum recently about exactly that, and the feedback was that it would 1. require a very expensive sensor ($700+) and 2. that it would have very poor longevity. But maybe you've found a better way?

Would the system be taking PH measurements for you automatically? That would certainly be interesting. I posted an inquiry on the automation forum recently about exactly that, and the feedback was that it would 1. require a very expensive sensor ($700+) and 2. that it would have very poor longevity. But maybe you've found a better way?

That is mostly incorrect, You can find good sensors pretty cheap, usually under $100. Brewing sensors are expensive but If you take a normal PH sensor and coat everything but the sensor, It will last a pretty long time.

As for how far I'm going to go, I'm planning to develop BrewOS or MeadOS which you can input your recipe, when you pitched yeast, when you started primary, when you racked into secondary and other notes you might want to input. This screen will be set in a secondary containment base (But screen is removable) so if foam over occurs it will go into the secondary containment instead of your kitchen floor.

I'm planning to have an arm that reaches behind and then over the top of the carboy as well, so that I can back light the carboy and get a visual on how the color of the mead is coming along, The arm that goes across the top will allow me to measure airlock activity.

Information Screen:
PH measured in the following scale: Every 10 min, Every 30 min, Every 1 hour, every 12 hours, every 24 hours.
Temperature measured in the following scale: Every 10 min, Every 30 min, Every 1 hour, every 12 hours, every 24 hours.
Airlock Activity measured every 1 hour for 10 or 15 minutes. Every 12 hours for 10-15 minutes, once per day for 10-15 minutes. (May add a 30 minute option)
Turbidity (IF added) measured in the following scale: Every 10 min, Every 30 min, Every 1 hour, every 12 hours, every 24 hours.

OS Screens
  • Batch ID (Will show recipie and notes)
  • Batch Data (Will show data collected at user setting above)
  • Batch Quality (Will tell you the average temperature, how clear it is, The PH, and hopefully gravity if I can get a hold of that sensor)
  • Live Data (Will activate all sensors)
  • Previous Batches (will show previous stats and recipies)

I would be interested in hearing what you have done and or are doing as this progresses. How far down this road are you going? I would consider evaluating Oxygen for yeast health.

my previous post should have explained everything. I probably missed a few things but if you have any questions let me know. The Operating system is pretty much done, Just waiting on the sensors to get here and then get good at soldering real fast.

Latest posts

Back