Emerald hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never heard of nor used this hop, but the name emerald almost forces you into an Irish red or Irish stout.

Apparently Emerald is a translation of Smaragd.

Pedigree Smaragd is an aroma variety from the hop research centre in Hull
Maturity Medium late
Yield 1,850 Kg/ha
Growth Habit
Disease/Pest Susceptibility wilt good, downy mildew good, powdery mildew average to low.
Aroma Predominantly fruity, hoppy and flowery.
Alpha Acid 4.0 – 6.0%
Beta Acid 3.5 – 5.5%
Cohumulone 13 - 18% of alpha acids
Storageability Average
Total Oil 0.4 - 0.8%
Myrcene 20 - 40%l
Humulene 30 - 50% of whole oil
Beta Carophyllene 9 - 14%
Farnesene <1% of whole oil
General Trade Perception The bitterness in the beer imparted by the variety Smaragd is harmonic with medium intensity. Both in smell and taste the aroma is predominately fruity, hoppy and flowery.

Aroma Specification On a scale of 1 to 10 : flowery 1, citrus 1, fruity 3, current like 0, sweet 3, spicy 6.

Overall impression of character on a scale to 1 of 5: intensive 3, harmonious 1, lasting full 4.
Typical Hop Use Aroma

So since I have little knowledge of, or experience with, German beer, can anyone suggest a brew to feature these?

mmmmm, sounds interesting.

I'd say any pale ale is a good candidate for when you want to find out about a new hops' flavor/aroma. If your talking german beers though, you'd probably have to make a lager to do the hop justice. In which case, I'd suggest something light like a helles or maybe a pils.

Latest posts

Back