Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVILEMRE

Reaction score
I've gotten myself somewhat confused about enzymes. I brew all grain, millet and buckwheat (malted), and I've been wanting to simplify my step mash. I've read about the different enzymes to help with conversion, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference in them.
For example Termamyl. It's an alpha-amylase, so I'd use it on the first rest for 30mins? There's conflicting temperature ranges, from 105f (40c) to 170f (76c).
And then there's SEBAmyl BAL 100. Is it the same as Termamyl, to be used in the first rest?
SEBAmyl L used for the second, longer rest?
Could someone clarify this for me? And perhaps direct to where I can buy this stuff. I'm in Canada (BC), and I can only find SEBAmyl GL in the homebrew store, which apparently is a exo-alpha-amylase or glucoAmylase. So at what step would that be used?

You've got the gist of it.

Termamyl for 15-30 min at 168-170ish (some go as high as 185). SEBAmyl Bal 100 is another option, but I believe it is not temperature stable like Termamyl is.

SEBAmyl L or AMG-300 or Diastase at 150's for the long rest.

The 105 rest is a beta glucan rest and is optional. It would proceed the 170 rest.

This is what I've been doing for best conversion. I use a Grainfather, so the steps are no biggie.

104 - 30 min (with Termamyl)
168 - 30 min
150-155 - 75 min (with SEBAmyl L)
170 - 15 min mash out

My LHBS carries Termamyl however the bottles they had on the shelf expired 9 months ago. I have to say that it gets very confusing with material out there for barley brewers when it gets mixed with us GF brewers. Most literature I've read that's geared towards barley malt brewers advises that alpha-amylase will be permanently denatured above 140 degrees F. However, it is apparently from folks that have used Termamyl up to 180 degrees F that its increased conversion. I'd ask your LHBS if they can order Termamyl or the other enyzmes most frequently utilized in GF brewing and experiment to see what works best with your process.

This thread has a bunch of useful info: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/zero-tolerance-gluten-free-homebrew-club.644257/

Does glutenfreehomebrewing.org ship to Canada? They have most of the enzymes.

Back