Ever Get a Bag of Horrible Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time ever in all the years I have been brewing, did I get a bag of grain that was sub par. I got a bag of Pilsner from a local Maltster. Not going to say who, but anyone that knows where I am from will figure it out. My usual Eff. numbers are anywhere between 78%-82%. This malt knocked me down to the 60%-62% range...:( WTF? How do I know it was the grain and not something I was doing? Once the 50lbs of pilsner were gone, I went out and bought a bag of my normal 2 row. Right back to where I should be as far as numbers. Anyone here have a similar experience with a bad bag of malt? I did try Briess once that yielded me down to the low 70's, but nothing like what this pilsner did to me.

Are you step mashing? Wouldn't be surprised if that was an undermodified malt.

No I wasn't step mashing, and that's something that NEVER crossed my mind. Great point chicky!!! The more I think of it, a small Maltster, small product output, I am willing to bet that the low efficiency was on my part due to not step mashing. Head Space and Timing...:mug:

Are you step mashing? Wouldn't be surprised if that was an undermodified malt.

Good point. This would be my guess as well. Either way, that's a bummer. I mean, you wouldn't expect it to be under modified malt this day and age. Everything is pretty well modified these days, even many (or most) of the German malts.

Back