Excessive carbonation in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catalanotte

Reaction score
Looking for tips on best way to bleed excess CO2 out of kegged beer. I primed a keg because I didn't have a free CO2 line and let it sit in the basement around 60deg for a few months. It is now well chilled and taped but severely over carbonated. I want it at 2.4 vol or about 10.5 psi at 38deg. After I disconnected the CO2 attached, I have poured 2 pitchers of foam that settle out to about 25% beer. Tap, line length, balance, etc is all good as I use this set up all the time for beers between 2 and 3 vol of CO2. I am guessing I have massively over carbed this. What is the best way to bleed the excess co2 out of the beer? I can bleed the head space repeatedly, but this is causing foaming that blows out of the PRV and will take a long time to allow the beer to naturally decarb with such a small volume of headspace. Any suggestions?

Off to clean out the CO2 line that was filled with foam when I hooked it up and poured the first beer..........

You don't seem sure it's overcarbed. Have you tried to lower the psi to a minimum, see if it foams the same? Bleed the keg and set to four psi, then slowly pour, if it's overcarbed, it will still foam.

Had that problem not long ago. Turned out I was serving with too high pressure. Had to lower the psi untill I get a good pour, then slowly rais Eto optimal pressure.

You don't seem sure it's overcarbed. Have you tried to lower the psi to a minimum, see if it foams the same? Bleed the keg and set to four psi, then slowly pour, if it's overcarbed, it will still foam.

Had that problem not long ago. Turned out I was serving with too high pressure. Had to lower the psi untill I get a good pour, then slowly rais Eto optimal pressure.
I can fill up a pitcher of foam with out any co2 connected, a few minutes after bleeding the headspace. Definitely over pressurized.

Trouble is the carbing down the out tube will stir up all of the yeast etc that multiplied with your priming.
How about using a spunding valve and let it fall slowly and have a few pints of foamy beer whilst you wait?

What pressure is it at?
Looks like about 15psi or 2.9 volumes. - Recehecked after siting overnight with no CO2 hooked up, 30 psi or 4.2 volumes. Going to take a lot of bleed cycles.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but the chart suggests you are at 37 F.

You could vent some CO2 out of the headspace, CO2 will come out of the beer to balance this. So say you vented to 10 it would rise again as equilibrium occurred. This is a slow process but might get you drinking clear beer sooner.
Chart suggests 10 psi for 37 F and 2.4 vols.

Another option would be to see if you could use this
http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/
you might need a very long tube if you have thick pipe!
Having the keg downstairs and the tap upstairs would also help!

Short term solutions whilst you wait for it all to balance out.

Back