extract beliner weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
i brew all grain and i really want to do a small batch berliner weiss. i was thinking about doing an extract version so it's a quick and easy brew day (less than an hour with a 15 minute boil) with minimal cleanup. i figure since most of the flavor in the style comes from the yeast, i might be able to get away with this. any thoughts?

2.5 Gallon Batch size
OG 1.029
4.4 IBU

2# Wheat LME
.4 oz Saaz (2.6%AA) @ 15 minute
Wyeast 4335 + US-05

That'll work. You aren't kiddin' about it being easy. :)

It's Wyeast 5335 now, and it's special order if you get it from Austin Homebrew. They usually have the lacto from White Labs in stock so you might consider using the tube instead...

From my experience it works well if you pitch the lacto (don't aerate -- the lacto don't like O2), wait two days or until there is a nice foam and bubbling on the airlock, then pitch the yeast.

thanks for the vote of confidence. this one will happen next month. i'll go with the white labs, i usually do. brewsmith didn't have the # for it so i posted the wyeast one.

I would up it to about 1.035 otherwise you are looking at a really really light beer. Instead of a really light beer :D Also, as Sach said, pitch the 5335 at least two days before pitching the yeast. And pitch it warm, when the wort is about 90*. No aeration. Good luck.

By the by, all grain version of this isn't that much more difficult. I banged one out in under two hours total, chilling and all. Got ten gallons of the stuff for my work :)

I would up it to about 1.035 otherwise you are looking at a really really light beer. Instead of a really light beer :D Also, as Sach said, pitch the 5335 at least two days before pitching the yeast. And pitch it warm, when the wort is about 90*. No aeration. Good luck.

By the by, all grain version of this isn't that much more difficult. I banged one out in under two hours total, chilling and all. Got ten gallons of the stuff for my work :)

cool, thanks for the advice. the high pitching temp just cuts the chill time even shorter.

i agree that this would be a simple simple simple all grain brew day, but i'm mostly thinking that it won't be necessary to drag everything out and clean it all afterward for this style. in fact, on my way home from work today i decided that i could probably just brew this in my boil kettle while i'm heating mash liquor and mashing for another beer.

i'll post my results. if it comes out solid enough i think it will be a great option for time-constrained brewers and people who want to sneak in an extra batch on a weekday evening.

Back