extract kits, order up???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
After reading some of the increased hop price threads and other news on the subject from internet sources, seems like this is really, really going to be a problem in the very near future. Already seeing it with some kits over at AHS. So, I was wondering for those of you that use kits. You think we should start stocking up on your favorite styles, especially anything with hallertau hops or wheat brews? I mean, if you had the cash, go ahead and order a couple of dozen or so kits to get through this dry period as long as you can store them in a refrigerator? I average brewing 2-3 kits per month. What would you do and please, I ain't going AG yet.

You know what you should do? Go AG. :p

I've never used a kit, so take this with a grain of salt, but...I'd only order kits that use DME, and I'd also get a foodsaver or some foodsaver knockoff vacuum sealer, and vacuum seal your ingredients if they're not already. Keep them in the freezer. And use dry yeast.

I'm going to switch to mini-mash from AHS my next order. No extra equipment needed just have to keep some grains at 155 degrees for 45 minutes. I have heard the results are a lot better.

Update on Hop availability

Dear Midwest customers.

This letter is to inform you of the current situation of hop availability for the rest of 2007 and 2008. The hop harvest typically occurs during the middle of September. This year’s hop harvest will not yield enough hops to meet the world’s demand for hops. Factors include farmers changing to more profitable crops, farmers selling land to developers, lower than anticipated 2007 harvest, and demand for particular hops in the Craft Brewing Industry. There are two things that will affect the home brewing industry. One is that prices are going up immediately. Second is that the selection of hops will decrease by almost 30-40%. High alpha hops will be in the shortest demand.

The hop industry has already reacted and has increased the amount of hops planned for planting in 2008. Things should be almost back to normal by next year at this time. The bottom line is that the cost of hops for a 5 gallon batch of beer will go up $1.00 - $2.00. Things could certainly be worse. Midwest will have plenty of hops available for 2008. The only thing different will be the decreased selection. There is already a little scare amongst the homebrewing community. Please don’t over react to this hysteria.

We will be sure to keep you updated on this situation. Currently we do not have pounds of hops available. We are only offering ounces of hops. We have a limit of 4 oz. per variety for each order. Some customers are trying to stock up. Once again we have been reassured by several distributors that we will have more than enough hops for 2008, however they will cost a little more and the selection will not be as large.

We will put any updates regarding hop availability on this page.

Stay calm and have a homebrew.
The crew at Midwest

I'm not sure I would stock up big-time on kits... there is no shortage of malt extracts or grains. I might order some hops that they claim won't be available in 2008 and freeze them (Hallarteu and others), but you can order and use fresh extracts and/or liquid yeasts if that's your preference by ordering those later.

There are plenty of recipes available on this forum, in books, and all over the internet... brewing directly from one of these recipes is no different than brewing a kit from AHS or Midwest other than you have to order the ingredients seperately and maybe spend an extra buck or two...

Still seems a better option to me than spending $300 on 10 kits now (which will run out in 3-4 months anyway), having to store them, and go through all the hassle/worry...

I ordered about 1lb of hops pellets (to add to the 1lb I'm already storing) that are supposedly not going to be available into mid-2008, but I'm not ordering my grain/extract that far in advance...

Oh noes! two dollars!

I'm not worried. for starters I AG brew, so that cuts ingredient costs down (the equipment eventually pays for itself). I don't like really hoppy beers, like pale ales, so that helps lower my hop needs. I also started washing yeast, which drastically cuts the price of any batch where I can re-use some yeast.

I do agree it'll suck for hop availability...next several months o' brewing might be some pretty plain-jane hop choices but its better to be on the small scale production than a larger microbrewery that just saw a truckload of hops double in price. Yikes.

I went ahead and ordered 3 extract kits from AHB. Got them in yesterday. Noticed that the LME comes in these big white pails. What's the best way to dump that in the wort? With BB kits, the LME is in cans and you can pre-heat these on the stove and helps pour out easily. What do you guys do with plastic pails? They are about the one gallon size.

I leave the pails on the counter next to the stove. It softens it up a little. Most of it will pour out, but you'll probably have to scoop some out with your big spoon. I clean these out really well and sanitize them. I use them to store my bulk DME, corn sugar, PBW etc. Make sure you write what's in them on the top and don't mix up the tops or it could be disasterous. I like them because they are stackable.

Ol' Grog said:
I went ahead and ordered 3 extract kits from AHB. Got them in yesterday. Noticed that the LME comes in these big white pails. What's the best way to dump that in the wort? With BB kits, the LME is in cans and you can pre-heat these on the stove and helps pour out easily. What do you guys do with plastic pails? They are about the one gallon size.

Just fill a bucket (like car-wash bucket) with some real hot (not boiling) water and set the jug in there for a few minutes, should work out fine. The other option with these is you can cut the top off them so you can scrape it out if you are that anal about getting every last teaspoon...

What kind of kits did you order?

I think everyone is panicing about the hops shortage way too much. Some hops will be available, just not always the types you want. I don't use kits, so I'm thinking the only thing I might have to do is substitute a different hop in some of my proven recipes when I brew them. Don't you think this is what the people that put together kits will do. They will figure you hops that are available and still make the style of the kit. I it won't be exactly the same, but I'm guessing it will be really close.

Well, if ya'll saw one of my other posts on kegging vs. bottling taste, with kegging, you could be right in that you really won't notice a difference. Face it, for those of us that keg, we like just to drink good beer. Doesn't have to be GREAT, just good. Now, if your entering a contest, you'd definently want the good hops for bottling.
I ordered the AHS american amber ale, american wheat and bavaria hefe. Got them all with dry yeast. Yes, I know the hefe will not be exactly true to style, but probably better than the BB kits. The only thing and I'm just not used to it and they bagged all the dry ingredients seperately, is I don't know which pail goes with which brew. They got the weights written on top, I'll just have to read the nomenclature sober and not while drinking. Still, 80 bucks for 3 kits delivered is not too bad in my book. I also noticed that the grains are already in a grain bag, that's cool. OH YEAH, is that really a grain bag, as in steeping, or do I need to use another type? It looked like muslim, but it was sealed and I haven't opened it up yet. Anybody know????????

Back