Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxTheSpy

Reaction score
YSaEwp.jpg

I've been using Tilt to log my SG and temperature for the last 6 days of my brew and Its been working amazingly well except for a few spots with notes over them Blue is Sg and Red is Temp. There are two blue peaks that I have no idea what happened with.

Do any of you have any ideas of what is happening there? One at the beginning and another near the end of the graph, I checked both times that there was nothing sticking to the tilt and its clean as it was as I put it on there so it's not that, I don't think it has anything to do with temperature but I could be wrong.

The first one makes perfect sense yeast do produce some heat especially early on in the process. I often see a 3 to 8 degree rise early. It appears to depend on how vigorous a ferment you have going. No idea on the other.

Once you accept all the tilt readings as faulty and look only at trends, you can then relax and have a homebrew :)

@CKuhns Blue line is gravity, not temp.

YSaEwp.jpg

I've been using Tilt to log my SG and temperature for the last 6 days of my brew and Its been working amazingly well except for a few spots with notes over them Blue is Sg and Red is Temp. There are two blue peaks that I have no idea what happened with.

Do any of you have any ideas of what is happening there? One at the beginning and another near the end of the graph, I checked both times that there was nothing sticking to the tilt and its clean as it was as I put it on there so it's not that, I don't think it has anything to do with temperature but I could be wrong.

I observed a similar rise in SG at the start of one of my TILT logs too: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...XBk6zgRm-Yg3xhvm0J_OAXdQVw/edit#gid=189348009
Is it possible that massive yeast reproduction can cause a rise in SG? At least the timing of it would seem to correlate, as there would be more oxygen in the mead must at the beginning to promote reproduction.

I observed a similar rise in SG at the start of one of my TILT logs too: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...XBk6zgRm-Yg3xhvm0J_OAXdQVw/edit#gid=189348009
Is it possible that massive yeast reproduction can cause a rise in SG? At least the timing of it would seem to correlate, as there would be more oxygen in the mead must at the beginning to promote reproduction.

Interesting, I thought it was just me, do you mind if I screencap your graph for my write up so I can show that its not just me?

I totally forgot about adding energizer in a little later on, so that might be what the second spike was!

Once you accept all the tilt readings as faulty and look only at trends, you can then relax and have a homebrew :)

@CKuhns Blue line is gravity, not temp.

I take sg readings manually at the beginning and end of my brew and use the tilt as a guideline, but I still want to figure out how accurate it is.

but I still want to figure out how accurate it is.
That was my point. It's not accurate. Every single graph I see and every single person who uses it tell the same story.
Don't trust the numbers; look at the trend.

Cheers

I totally forgot about adding energizer in a little later on, so that might be what the second spike was!

Perhaps that's the clue then. Adding energizer would have created more bubbles, which maybe clung to the TILT and lifted it, giving an apparent rise in SG?

Maybe the same sometimes happens at the beginning of a fermentation?

Or, maybe a better hypothesis: adding the yeast nutrient caused a turmoil, which released a lot of dissolved gas all at once, and so the SG really did spike as a result.

Or, maybe a better hypothesis: adding the yeast nutrient caused a turmoil, which released a lot of dissolved gas all at once, and so the SG really did spike as a result.

Next batch I will note down date and time I add energiser and try and keep a closer eye on the batch to figure out exactly what is happening.

I'm pretty sure yeast don't increase the SG. Not sure why you guys are thinking that.

I'm pretty sure yeast don't increase the SG. Not sure why you guys are thinking that.

it was just a bit of an off topic question its fine, Yeast could however tell us how aggressive the fermentation process is creating more gas to stick to the tilt.

The few times that I cross-checked TILT with a hydrometer, they were in close agreement. If you do a more thorough analysis/testing, I'd be interested in what you find out. I have two of them, and I like them a lot.

The few times that I cross-checked TILT with a hydrometer, they were in close agreement. If you do a more thorough analysis/testing, I'd be interested in what you find out. I have two of them, and I like them a lot.

Ill be doing a formal writeup over the next few months with all the data that I have collected, Would you be interested in taking some readings for me with your batches and we can co-write this?

Ill be doing a formal writeup over the next few months with all the data that I have collected, Would you be interested in taking some readings for me with your batches and we can co-write this?

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, I won't have the time for it. I got off to a fast start to learn as quickly as I could because I knew I'd have to throttle back soon, and that deadline is fast approaching.

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, I won't have the time for it. I got off to a fast start to learn as quickly as I could because I knew I'd have to throttle back soon, and that deadline is fast approaching.
Sounds good, Thought I would ask, Not too many people out there using tilt yet.

Not too many people out there using tilt yet.

Not surprisingly, many/most of the people using TILT seem to frequent the automated brewing forum. They're a good group of people. I suggest you repost your OP there. Given the nature of your inquiry, I think you're likely get many more replies over there than you are here on the mead forum. If it were me, that's what I'd do.

Last edited:
Did you ever sort out the initial hump anomaly? I'm doing two TILT logs right now. The first is a bit like yours in the OP, and the second is more like a rollercoaster (which I've never seen before on a TILT plot). I think it may have to do with the Krausen, but not sure.

Latest posts

Back