Favorite Dry Hop??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love dry hopping with 2 oz. of Amarillo. I put it right in the keg for a pale ale and left it in there and didn't really notice any "grassy" flavors/aromas throughout the 1.5 month life of the keg. Amarillo has a beautiful citrusy, kind of grapefruity aroma that it lends. It's really refreshing!:mug:

Do you use hop pellets and put them in a hopbag before putting them in your keg?
I would worry about clogging.
Also, can you dry hop in Primary after fermentation is done?

I also love Amarillo, but Citra is also a good one if you like the heavy citrus aroma. I prefer to dryhop with pellets. I put them into a hopbag and toss them into the carboy. I've never weighted mine down, they just float on top of the beer. Some people claim it doesn't work as well that way, but all my dryhopped beers have tons of aroma after 1 week of the hops floating around on top.

You can dryhop in Primary, just wait until the fermentation has subsided and the krausen has fallen. A lot of people here don't secondary their beers at all and dryhop in primary or in the keg exclusively.

Simcoe - 1/2 to 1 ounce for 5 gallon keg for me. Paint strainer bag or nylon hose which is pretty cheap as you can get two legs out of the deal for ??. Wife buys it.

I have had really good success with Simcoe and Cenn. mix about 3 oz. of each for 5-7 days at 70 degrees.

Eastside

Simcoe is great, maybe an ounce for 3 gallons in an IPA. I prefer whole leaf for no reason, I use both.

I used 3 oz of Cascade pellets in my last APA and it turned out amazing. The hop aroma was unreal.

I love the amarillo/simcoe mix. I do half ounce each in my house IPA. I also have a half ounce each of amarillo/citra in the freezer now ready to go into a Pale Ale. I can't wait to see how that turns out!

I dryhop my porter with willamette and it's awesome, if I do say so myself :D, never dryhopped any of those in an IPA though.

I am looking to use em in a high grav brown ale. though I may switch to super alpha and nothern brewer

I rarely dry hop anything other than Left-coast IPAs, so it's Cascade, Amarillo or Perle. Sometimes all three. I prefer to use 1/2 oz, give it a week, then switch to different hop for another week.

I dry hopped a westcoast PaleAle with 2oz of Amarillo and it turned out wonderful.
Any other recomendations?

Probably won't help since you seem to be talking about American IPA's, but I love EKG myself, I usually use 30g of pellets for a week. Fuggles is excellent as well.

I use cascade when I make an American style, but I don't do that very often.

Back