Fermentation stopped short.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRYLOK

Reaction score
The OG was 1.059 The FG is supposed to be 1.015 but fermentation stopped and it is at 1.021. What can i do?

Here is the Recipe:

Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
9 lbs,
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40
1 lbs, 12 oz
Biscuit
1 lbs,
Brewers Gold Pellets
1 oz @ 60 mins
Fuggles Pellets, UK
1 oz @ 30 mins
Munton's Ale Yeast
1 ea

Thanks

Need more info... How long has it been? How old was the yeast? What temps did you ferment at? What temps did you mash at?

Definitely need more info. But the bottom line will be, if it hasn't been on the yeast at least 3-4 weeks then you must wait. And it need's to be at the same gravity 3 days in a row. Right now it's about 65% attenuation and given another week or more it may finish out.

Originally Posted by Revvy
You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING...you didn't hurt the yeast, just put it to sleep. They know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Give it a swirl, raise that temps to low 70's, wait two more weeks and see what it is at. I've never heard good things about that yeast, next time choose a better strain.

Check it again in another week... If it tastes good, but the hydrometer reading doesn't move, you could either bottle it, or give it another week...

The difference in FG numbers (between what it is now, and what you expected) is .7% ABV... So you're at 5% instead of 5.7%... Still a very respectable brew... To me, anything over ~4.5% is respectable... :D :tank:

Maybe would have been lower had you mashed at a lower temp?
Maybe need a pack and a half for this type yeast How may grams in a pack?

the only 2 times i used muntons yeast my final gravity was higher than when i used nottingham for the same recipe.
i don't use muntons anymore

You could try making a 1pt starter and pitching that in there. Or rehydrate some Nottingham yeast and pitch that. If nothing happens then there are no more fermentables

How accurate is your thermometer at mashing temperature? If it was off by a couple degrees, you may have created more dextrine and raised the anticipated FG. JMHO

Latest posts

Back