Fermented Maple Sap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryAppleton

Reaction score
Maybe this is the wrong place to post this on HBT, but I'm wondering if anyone has fermented maple tree sap into a light maple-flavored carbonated beverage?

If I have 10 gallons of maple sap at a sugar concentration of 2% (2g per 100ml, or 757g), I can boil it down to 5 gallons with 757g/1.7lb of sugar.

Now according to Beersmith, that sort of ratio gives me an SG of 1.016. And if I ferment that with a dry white wine yeast, it looks like I'm around .996 fg or 2.5% abv.

Then I carbonate said beverage. Is it good? Will I dead?

- la

For what it's worth (if you're thinking along the lines of a maple flavored beverage):

I had a friend a few years ago swap out his entire volume of hot liquor (brew water) for maple sap in trying to make a maple breakfast stout type beer. When all was said and done, you could barely detect any maple. Totally wasn't worth it in the longrun. I think you'd be in a better situation by boiling down to 1/2 volume, maybe pickup some better flavors in the process, but I don't think the "maple syrup" flavor will be as strong as it sounds.

For what it's worth (if you're thinking along the lines of a maple flavored beverage):

I had a friend a few years ago swap out his entire volume of hot liquor (brew water) for maple sap in trying to make a maple breakfast stout type beer. When all was said and done, you could barely detect any maple. Totally wasn't worth it in the longrun. I think you'd be in a better situation by boiling down to 1/2 volume, maybe pickup some better flavors in the process, but I don't think the "maple syrup" flavor will be as strong as it sounds.
Ok Thanks. I’ll use the 10 gallons for something else then.

Ok Thanks. I’ll use the 10 gallons for something else then.
I just finished a very successful maple sap cider. I had to add about 4 pounds of sugar to bring the alcohol content up a few percent. But it tastes wonderful, and it's really cool knowing that no water was used. Check out my recipe.

Last edited:
I just finished a very successful maple sap through it was a cider actually. I needed had to ask said about 4 pounds of sugar to bring the alcohol content of soup percent. But it tastes wonderful and it's really cool knowing nothing was taken from the ground regarding water. Check out my recipe.
This is fascinating thank you.

I also have 10 gallons! 5 is in the freezer still. Brewing cran-grape for a summer cider now.

Last edited:
Where is the recipe?

I am fermenting very dark ‘sweet sap’ from the end of our run. It was at 1.094 OG. I put in some yeast nutrient and a champagne yeast. Has been bubbling for three day. The Krause looks moor like bubble bath - big clear bubbles.

Back