first all grain. quick OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janitorjerm

Reaction score
I ended up with 4 gallons after boil. My thermometers are reading between 82 to 84. When I took a gravity reading it read at 1.064. According to the conversion chart that came with my hydrometer at this temp my gravity is actually 1.089. Is this correct? Does this put my 4 gallons over 11% alcohol? If so should I top up to 5 gallons to get it down around 7 or 8? It's an IPA the way.

For that temperature reading it should be 1.064 + 0.0029 for a 82.4 temp conversion. So its really 1.067(rounded).
What did the original recipe call for as far as the OG? Were you way off from the target?

At that temp, the gravity reading is fairly close. Also, that original gravity is in the style range. It should finish about 6-6.5% ABV depending on how much it dries out. I wouldn't dillute at this point.

1.064 was the OG I was shooting for but it was also for a 5 gallon batch. Should I just go ahead and pitch the yeast or should I let it cool further and take another sample?

I ended up with 4 gallons after boil. My thermometers are reading between 82 to 84. When I took a gravity reading it read at 1.064. According to the conversion chart that came with my hydrometer at this temp my gravity is actually 1.089. Is this correct? Does this put my 4 gallons over 11% alcohol? If so should I top up to 5 gallons to get it down around 7 or 8? It's an IPA the way.

I'm a new brewer myself but I have your temperature correction coming in @ 1.067. I use Home brewers Assistant on my computer for my temperature corrections. I now use a refractometer so I don't have to let a larger sample cool to room temperature.

Back