First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddyj123

Reaction score
Hey All,

I took a class at Beer and Wine hobby in Woburn, MA and bought their brewing kit with an Amber extract kit which I brewed up yesterday, was going to ferment in my glass car boy but couldn't get the stopper to stay in.

Anywho, I see bubbles in my airlock and am really hopeful that this turns out ok. Will prob built an ice chest fermentation chamber and want to brew more, learn more and eventually contribute to the forum!

Thanks for reading my thread, wish me luck!

image.jpg

The only thing better than watching a bubbling airlock is smelling a bubbling airlock!

A little tip for that carboy bung: rubbing alcohol or vodka work well to get the bung to stick. Sanitizer can be slippery on the glass, whereas the vodka or isopropyl alcohol will get a good seal. Still use your normal sanitizer, but once the beer is in the carboy, wipe the mouth and bung with either of the above and you'll be fine. They both also sanitize so no worries.

A little tip for that carboy bung: rubbing alcohol or vodka work well to get the bung to stick. Sanitizer can be slippery on the glass, whereas the vodka or isopropyl alcohol will get a good seal. Still use your normal sanitizer, but once the beer is in the carboy, wipe the mouth and bung with either of the above and you'll be fine. They both also sanitize so no worries.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip Matt, I really appreciate it!

The only thing better than watching a bubbling airlock is smelling a bubbling airlock!

HELLS YEAH!!!

+1 to what Matt says, even just wiping the bung off to dry it some will allow you to press it in and hold if for a few seconds and it would stay.:rockin:

Just out of curiosity, does your airlock have a vented cap? It keeps the airlock center piece from popping up too high.

Back