First Mixr 6r

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostDakota

Reaction score
I had to build a display at a place called Country Pantry today. They boast (according to a bilboard I passed along the way) 500 styles of beer! I know for a fact that that is inacurate because there aren't 500 styles. But they do have a rather extensive selection of single beers. I figured that I would start with a selection that came well regarded by you guys and a work aquaintance.
14145-102_1179.JPG
I know that some of you are surprised that there is nothing too exotic, but you have to take into acount that I am less than a year away from the retirement of my <badge>SWILL DRINKER</badge> The Goose was just thrown in there because I have never had an Oatmeal Stout. Also, I just discovered my style, pales & IPAs. Thats why they make up half of the bounty.

Now, I have to say that these beers may or may not be rediculously old. The shop is in Ellsworth. Elsworth=1/2 hour from civilization. I was especially concerned that I didn't really get an Old Skunkled Hen due to the clear bottle and the fact that it was on the top shelf, right in the light.

First: Goose Island Oatmeal Stout
I genuinely liked this beer. Chocolate malt and perhaps roasted barley hit me right in the nose. There is almost no hop aroma whatsoever. It pour black as night with very little head which lasted sparsely a minute. The mouthfeel was smooth as silk. Chocolate and the faintest of Coffee were the main flavors which were not complemented by a hop bite. (Or perhaps my palate is just that green.) The carbonation and body seemed right, however, I am not positive due to the fact that I have never tasted this style before.
Final though: In retrospect, this beer tasted quite similar to Samuel Adams Honey Porter - the dry hop.

Second: Morland Old Speckled Hen
I think my first thought was correct. The aroma was that of quite fresh road kill of the black and white opossum variety. The color of this beer is a beautiful reddish hue, which I likened to that of watered down cherry soda. The head was nearly nonexistent. The first taste was one of confusion, I first first noted fruit, which i could not place. The hops were well balanced with the malt which had a sweetness that I have not had before in a beer. The mouthfell seemed appropriate to style.
Final thought: Well balanced beer, not my kind, but good. I know that it would have been better if it hadn't been sitting on the shelf for god know how long.

That's it for now. I think you've all had enough of my ramblings. If there is any interest, I will continue. I'm going now to crack the Dogfish.

*Please note that this is my first attempt at critique beer. That being said, I would really like to know what you think about the same beers.

Latest posts

Back