Flavor changed from keg to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
Hey all. I brewed up a pretty tasty IPA a couple weeks ago and forced carbbed it this weekend. I drew my first pint and it was amazing! So, I decided I should enter it into a couple upcoming contests. I bottled 12 bottles, and put 4 in the fridge for a friend. I left the other 8 out, as 4 of them will be for the contests. I went ahead and put one in the fridge last night to see if the flavor had changed (they were bottled 4 days ago). I opened it up tonight and the flavor seemed totally different and it didn't seem to have as much carbonation. I followed BierMuncher's method, using the racking cane to bottle the beers. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, what changed the flavor profile? I followed the directions to a T, and capped on the foam, making sure to purge all the oxygen. Even so, I wouldn't think 4 days would make a noticeable difference with that little amount of oxygen in the bottle if I hadn't gotten it all out.

Does the fact that my beer went from 40*F to 68*F for a few days change the flavor that much? If so, how do I enter beers into competitions? (Assuming that the beers won't be refrigerated immediately after dropping off.) Any help is greatly appreciated!!

A little update: I talked about this beer today with the friend that got the 4 beers that went from the keg directly to the fridge. He also commented that they were noticeably less carbonated and a quite different flavor profile. So, I'm guessing that the fact that the beers were warmed to room temp didn't have any effect. I'm going to wash and sanitize some more bottles and put them in the freezer before I fill them and see if that helps. Any comments?

The only thing I can think of is that they foamed a lot, and you lost some carbonation as well as got some oxidation.

Chilling the bottles (even freezing them) is very helpful. Try turning down the psi on the regulator to just enough to push the beer (2-3 psi) to see if that reduces foaming.

The only thing I can think of is that they foamed a lot, and you lost some carbonation as well as got some oxidation.

Chilling the bottles (even freezing them) is very helpful. Try turning down the psi on the regulator to just enough to push the beer (2-3 psi) to see if that reduces foaming.

Thanks Yoop. They only foamed when I tipped the bottle on its side, right before I capped them, and it wasn't much. I just can't figure out why the flavor changed so much...

Yeah, in BierMunchers tutorial for the "poor man's beer gun" he says to tip the bottle on its side, let the foam come to the top, and then cap the bottle.

Yeah, in BierMunchers tutorial for the "poor man's beer gun" he says to tip the bottle on its side, let the foam come to the top, and then cap the bottle.

I don't remember that. :drunk:

I've done it lots of times, but never did that part of it. I just filled, "burped", and capped on foam. Try that, instead of doing the turning thing.

Anyway, another thing I just thought of is that maybe the beer wasn't fully carbed up and that's why it's fairly flat now. If you burst carbed it quickly, it does take a while for the carbonation to equalize throughout. Between that and any foaming, that would explain at least part of it.

I don't remember that. :drunk:

Hmmm... It has to be in there somewhere, I'm not smart enough to come up with something like that on my own! :)

I've done it lots of times, but never did that part of it. I just filled, "burped", and capped on foam. Try that, instead of doing the turning thing.
Ok, I'll give it a shot. But, IIRC, there wasn't much foam after I filled it up, thus the tipping it on its side part.

Anyway, another thing I just thought of is that maybe the beer wasn't fully carbed up and that's why it's fairly flat now. If you burst carbed it quickly, it does take a while for the carbonation to equalize throughout. Between that and any foaming, that would explain at least part of it.
I did force carb. Its been in the keg over a week now, think that's enough time?

Couple other questions you might be able to help with. Why the taste difference? Is it simply because of the carb difference? Will letting the beer warm up to room temp after bottling affect the taste any?

Depending on your pressure, one week in the keg is usually not enough time to bottle from. Sure, you can drink it, but I find that you need at least two weeks for the co2 to equalize. I also can say that if I know I am bottling a beer, I slightly overcarbonate to allow for the lost co2 when bottling etc...

Depending on your pressure, one week in the keg is usually not enough time to bottle from. Sure, you can drink it, but I find that you need at least two weeks for the co2 to equalize. I also can say that if I know I am bottling a beer, I slightly overcarbonate to allow for the lost co2 when bottling etc...

Ok thanks. I've got the regulator set at 12 psi, at 40℉. It tasted like such an amazing beer from the keg, it just doesnt have the same flavor when I bottle it.

Latest posts

Back