For an American Wheat, Tettnanger or Hallertau?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
I'm putting together a summer wheat beer and I'm pretty solid on the malt bill I want to use but I'm not sure about the hops. I don't have much experience using either of these varieties so I want your advice! :) Which type would you use, and how much for a low IBU american wheat?

I have:
2oz of Hallertau pellets
1oz of Tettnanger leaf

FYI the malt bill is
5lbs Wheat
6lbs 2-row
1lbs Crystal 10

Thanks for your help!

I would think either, especially if you're just doing a bittering addition. I've used Hallertau in German wheats, and it works great. Don't see why it wouldn't work great for an American Wheat, too.

If that does not come out the way you want....Try 3 pounds of 6 row and 3 pounds of 2 row.....4pounds of wheat......Keep the Crystal 10....But only try this if your recipe does not work out......What kind of yeast you using?
By the way, I dont know enough to go altering recipes by any means but I know the recipe someone uses and its awesome They use 1056

Dark_Ale said:
If that does not come out the way you want....Try 3 pounds of 6 row and 3 pounds of 2 row.....4pounds of wheat......Keep the Crystal 10....But only try this if your recipe does not work out......What kind of yeast you using?
By the way, I dont know enough to go altering recipes by any means but I know the recipe someone uses and its awesome They use 1056

Will do Dark_Ale, thanks for the advice. I'm using SafAle 5 which I think is the same thing as 1056 :)

Thanks for the help everyone.

Any recommendations on secondary additives? I was thinking maybe a little orange or lemon?

I used Tett in 10 gallons of an american wheat that i am about to keg. BUT, i also used willamette as well. just tasted the hydro sample yesterday and it was very very good. i used a Kolsch yeast for it and it seems to have made the beer almost citrisy, like a lemon. But it is still green. we shall see. Hope this helps!

shlap said:

Any recommendations on secondary additives? I was thinking maybe a little orange or lemon?

Um, nothing?

You could add apricot extract if you really want. That's good stuff.

shlap said:

For a hefe, none. If it comes out a little bland, you can always add a fresh slice of citrus when you drink it. Hefe's all about being simple, clean, and quenching.

Dead on with either one, and I agree about the Kolsch yeast. Same thing that St. Arnolds uses on their Texas Wheat. Very clean finnish with just a touch of citrus.

You know, since this is an American Wheat.... a real small addition of Cascade or Amarillo (the latter, if you can get it) at 5 minutes might be nice. That would add a little bit of citrus flavor to it (Amarillo's got a real nice, smooth grapefruity character) without actually adding citrus. I'm thinking ~ half ounce or so.

The batch is already fermenting away in the primary so it's too late to add hops.

I think I like the idea of just keeping it simple and adding a wedge of fruit for a little kick if it needs one.

The Kolsch yeast sounds interesting, I'll have to try that next time! :)

I made a American wheat this weekend and used a small amount of Magnum for bittering, Mt. hood for flavor and Tettnanger for aroma. We will see how well it comes out.

Back