force carbonating at room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmeisterSmith

Reaction score
I havent had much luck finding a chart out there that shows psi, desired carbonation levels, temperatures AND days/hours. Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.

I have a full kegerator right now and two kegs sitting in my brew room full (just kegged). I dont need the two kegs in my brew room for a little while as I have 5 kegs on draft in the kegerator. I would like to slow carbonate the two kegs at room temp so that when the next one blows, I'll be able to make a smooth transition. So, at 61-62 degrees in my basement brew room, how much psi should i set the kegs at to obtain, say 2.2 carbonation volume or level?

I was thinking around 20 psi for 1 week would do it, or even 10 psi for two weeks? Not sure. I normally stick the keg in the kegerator, crank to 35 psi around 7 or 8pm and then sample the next day around the same time. Then just leave it at 12 psi and whala. :mug:

61-62°F is within the bounds of our favorite carbonation table. Set your pressure for 20 psi, leave the beer alone for two to three weeks, and it will be perfectly carbed with no drama. Disconnect the gas, chill to serving temperature, reference the same table using the lower temperature to dial in your CO2 pressure for dispensing, and you're good to go...

Cheers!

Back