Force carbonation pressures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know this should obvious to me but I am just not getting it. If I enter the information into a carbonation calculator for 5 gallons it says I need 17psi. If I do everything the same but for 2 gallons it says 27psi. Why? Seems like under the same pressure the liquid would take on the same amount of CO2?

You're right - the volume of beer is irrelevant. The only information the calculator should need is the desired carbonation level and the temperature. Which calculator are you using? Are you sure you're not confusing the volumes of CO2 with volume of beer?

I am using Brewzor. I have liked it for everything else. It asks for volumes of CO, Beer temperature and volume of beer. It's pretty straight forward.

Ok, I installed Brewzor on an off-line DroidX.
If I specify 2.5 volumes of CO2 and a beer temperature of 38°F, no matter what volume of beer I enter - 2 gallons, 5 gallons, 55 gallons - the CO2 pressure is always 11.25 - which checks out against the calculator I use (and with our favorite carbonation table as well).

The app asks for "volume" because along with the forced-carbonation pressure it also provides the priming sugar requirement to hit the same target carbonation level. That has nothing to do with forced-carbonation pressure (time, yes. pressure, no)...

Cheers!

Back