Fresh apple juice - no sulfites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I called a local orchard to reserve my juice to pick up this weekend. Was told the juice has no preservatives in it - and recommends to leave them out. The juice is pressed and stored in large refrigerated vats awaiting my pickup. Oddly, I am not sure I like the way this is heading. Granted the refrigeration may inhibit rapid wild yeast development, but for sure there will be some yeast on the fruit skins. I'll bring the juice home and pitch the yeast within 5 hours of leaving refrigeration.

To be on the safe side, should I dose the juice with a bit of Kmeta when I get it out to my vehicle? Not sure about this since all juice I have bought before has been treated with sulfites. This is an established orchard, but will be the first time I have bought from them.

You can take a small amount of the juice before adding K-meta/Camden and let it warm to room temp and add the yeast. It should start reproducing in less than 24 hrs. and overwhelm the wild yeasts.

24 hours after treating the bulk of your juice with K-meta/Camden add the yeast/juice to the rest of your juice.

Great - two posts guiding toward sulfite additions. Thanks @Maylar

@MarkKF, I screwed around and completely blew off the calendar meaning the pressed juice pick up date caught me off-guard. I don't have my normal WLP775 and my LHBS has Safcider which I researched and most folks have good luck with it. I like my cider to get to 1.000 or less, then I retard the yeast and sweeten/flavor/dry hop lightly. So, the yeast starter is not as critical as in years past with liquids. Probably just cream the dry and pitch.

I like the starter cuz you know the yeast is alive & healthy before pitching it. I’ve tried Safcider and it was good. But I also like 71b-1122 and it’s cheap and lasts forever in the fridge.

How long has the juice been sitting at the orchard?

Whether adding Kmeta or not, wait until your juice is at room temp before pitching to help them acclimate to their new environment. If you're worried about infection, the last thing you want is to shock your yeast resulting in a slower fermentation start.

Personally, I do not use sulfites, I pitch the day it is pressed once it reaches an appropriate temperature. I've never had a problem but my orchard uses UV light to kill off bacteria.

How long has the juice been sitting at the orchard?

Whether adding Kmeta or not, wait until your juice is at room temp before pitching to help them acclimate to their new environment. If you're worried about infection, the last thing you want is to shock your yeast resulting in a slower fermentation start.

Personally, I do not use sulfites, I pitch the day it is pressed once it reaches an appropriate temperature. I've never had a problem but my orchard uses UV light to kill off bacteria.

Good question how long since pressing? I called the orchard to reserve the cider and was told no sulfites are added and the juice will be under refrigeration waiting for me. He said "we get a list so we can ensure we have enough to last not only for cider day, but for those wanting juice up until Christmas"

Sounds to me like this juice will be pressed and sit in refrigeration for an unknown time. Last year I bought juice on pressing day from a different orchard and I stood in line as they actually pressed the apples. That is fresh.

I usually pick mine up the day it’s pressed or the day after and it’s cold. I have had the same juice in my fridge at 38 deg. F for a month and it’s started to wild yeast ferment.

Usually we find out when they're pressing, drop off the carboys the day before and pick up after they're done later that same day. It's worked well so far

Back