Fresh / Wet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrgtr42

Reaction score
So I just now finished harvesting my hops for the year. I got a handful of Newports, and probably a few ounces of Cascade. I have a beer fermenting, a Brett (Trois) IPA, and I was thinking about wet-hopping it.

The beer has been in fermenting for about 4 weeks*

What would I need to do to prepare the hops to toss in there - or just toss them? Anything I should be aware of?

*side question: It's stuck at 1.020, I think my mash temps were a bit high to start, but I got them back to low 150s about 5 minutes in, should I consider it done? I've heard that the Brett Trois can take a break partway through.

I always seem to have a lot of bugs in my hops so I will put them in the food dehydrator for a half hour to "pasteurize" them. (even on the lowest temp, there will be a ball of aphids forming on the vents as they try to escape). I'm also completely paranoid about infection so I add the hops to the keg and leave it at keggerator temps. You are probably fine without doing that stuff but if you are going to harvest the yeast, do it before adding the hops.

Just kegged my first fresh hop beer. I used 10 oz. at 10 min. and a hop stand of another 10 oz. for 20 minutes. There were a few aphids, but they died like crab or lobster. Just a little free protein.

Aw crap, misunderstood a few things before posting. Edit.

Last edited:
I did my wet hopped brew & hop harvest yesterday and I just picked, weighed & thrown in the kettle. I didnt have any critters this year, but when I do they go straight into the kettle anyway. For a 5 gallon batch I use just about 14 oz & another 3oz in the mashtun/hopback. It smelled delicious.

A few weeks ago, there was a brewing contest at the FLHBS in my area. The guy who runs the store had an entry where he'd added fresh Cascade cones (bines? I'm not entirely certain what the right word is) in secondary.

It ended up tasting exactly like sauerkraut. Which I would have actually liked, if it hadn't been the last beer of the night after tasting 20-something other entries :p

Back