Fridge mod / fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Special Hops

Reaction score
So I have an old (standard freezer on top) fridge that I have been using about 3 years or so as my fermentation chamber. I have a temp controller on it and everything works great. Except it is rather tight for 2 of my fermenters. I have 2 1/4bbl sanke kegs I use as fermenters, and while I can make them fit in there, I would prefer to have a bit more space.

I am thinking I can just cut out the partition between the freezer and fridge but want to double check with some folks who have done this. From what I gather the partition is typically just some baffles and what not to allow the air to flow from the freezer to the fridge. Is that correct? The main thing I want to avoid is cutting into any of the Freon lines.

I am under the impression that there are cooling lines in the freezer floor. How about sell it on craigslist after you pick up a used chest freezer?

There are rarely refrigerant lines in the compartment divider (maybe never, even). But there can be ducts and drains in the general vicinity, though typically biased towards the back wall.

Generally the evaporator is mounted in the back wall of the freezer compartment so the lines run up the back from the compressor under the food compartment floor, then either a fan or damper is operated to gate cold air from the freezer to the food compartment.

There have been a few folks that have carved out the divider successfully.
Looks like hell, of course ;) but if it serves a purpose, vaya con Dios...

Cheers!

I am under the impression that there are cooling lines in the freezer floor. How about sell it on craigslist after you pick up a used chest freezer?

Yeah I get conflicting info depending on who you talk to. It's probably worth nothing on craigslist. I have already gotten rid of all of the other guts. And a chest freezer sounds good but I do like the current front door where I don;t have to bend an lift a heave fermentor in and out of a chest freezer.

There are rarely refrigerant lines in the compartment divider (maybe never, even). But there can be ducts and drains in the general vicinity, though typically biased towards the back wall.

Generally the evaporator is mounted in the back wall of the freezer compartment so the lines run up the back from the compressor under the food compartment floor, then either a fan or damper is operated to gate cold air from the freezer to the food compartment.

There have been a few folks that have carved out the divider successfully.
Looks like hell, of course ;) but if it serves a purpose, vaya con Dios...

Cheers!

Yeah - It does look like a PITA. I may just leave it and deal.

Back