Fruit to Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All

I am brewing the 'Raspberry Requiem' recipe located on these forums. It calls for a 1 week primary at 70F and then to rack onto raspberries in a secondary for 1 week longer.

It seems like there is plenty of room in the primary for the raspberries. Is there a problem with adding the raspberries directly to the primary?

Are there other factors I need to consider before you can answer?

I always put fruit in the primary after the initial fermentation is pretty much done(3 or 4 days usually). It starts back up again, then I let it finish and rack to secondary.

I always put fruit in the primary after the initial fermentation is pretty much done(3 or 4 days usually). It starts back up again, then I let it finish and rack to secondary.

Is the secondary just for clearing?

Would it work to ferment, add fruit, then clear/gelatin/cold crash all right in the primary?

Yea, secondary is just for clearing.........I don't know how well the cold crash/gelatin would work with all the fruit in there. I personally wouldn't try it. I don't think the beer will clear real well with all that fruit sitting in there.

Back