funk in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickWG

Reaction score
did you ever brew up a beer and think it went ok and then after you put it in the fermenter and oxygenate/pitch yeast, seal it up, look at it with a satisfied smile....and come back after the foam has settled and say "What the heII is that floating in my beer?

Wife got me an extract ESB and I cooked it up today.

Two things kind of weird. I did a full boil and one of the first things to come out of the spigot was a black chunk of something. Figure I burned a little LME. That's why I don't use LME.

second thing is there is a scary piece of something floating in my fermenter. Figure it is a piece of the steeping grain that got in there.Kinda white and jaggady looking. Like popcorn-ish.

Everything was cleaned. The spigot was rinsed out. The heat would have sterilized everything so I figure it's not going to kill the beer. Just troubling is all.

Are you asking a question or making a statement? I is confused

Kind of both. Im worried about possible blackyeast infection (through a boil)
the burnt sugar thing doesn't bother me too much yet.
sorry so brief. On cell phone and my" friend" who doesn't care about beer is giving me crap.

Could just be a bit of burnt LME,it's not hard to do if you don't babysit the boiling wort. Even DME's can burn,my electric stove always browns a very small amount on the bottom of the pot in the shape of the heating coils. Maybe a small chunk of undissolved DME,they can look sorta like popcorn. Yeast can clump up like that too.

Back