FWH with extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ski12568

Reaction score
I want to make two 1 gallon batches. The first batch I want to give a 60 minute boil for the hops and the second do a FWH addition with a 60 minute boil.
I am thinking about warming the wort to about ~150F to simulate the temps after a mash, swirling the hops for a few minutes, then bringing to a boil for 60.
I am looking to see what the difference would be between FWH and just a 60 minute boil. Do you think this would work?

I do not want to make full 5 gallon batches. These would pretty much be SMaSH brews for testing. Thank you

I don't see why that wouldn't work as a simulation.

Go for it.

Looks like a good plan. FWIW, brewing software will usually want to know how long the FWH will be in the warm wort before boiling so that it can attribute the correct amount of IBUs to the addition. On my big all-grain system I FWH for about an hour while I fly sparge. Perhaps it would be good to take that into account and keep it warm for half an hour or something along those lines.

Just to clarify, you are going to do 2 small extract batches to compare traditional bittering to FWH bittering. One batch will see a 60 minute boil with a 60 minute addition. The second batch will be the same amount, AA and hop variety but added entirely at the first wort and then brought to a boil for the same length of time. That should be a neat exbeeriment.

That is correct, same everything.

Thank you, I didn't think about the length of time it would be soaked for. I'll check BeerSmith and make sure those changes are added before I brew.

I did this on an extract beer a few of months ago to use up some ingredients. I added 1 oz of hops during my steeping process, then brought it to a boil and proceeded as normal. I used the technique to gain increased IBUs while only boiling for 20 minutes. It seemed to work well since I'm happy with the final product.

All Simcoe:
1 oz "FWH" for lack of a better term
1 oz 15 minutes
1 oz between 0-5 minutes
1 oz dry hop

I think it's different with extract than it is with all grain since the hop pellets are still in the boil for extract, but not if you do it all grain.

I did this on an extract beer a few of months ago to use up some ingredients. I added 1 oz of hops during my steeping process, then brought it to a boil and proceeded as normal. I used the technique to gain increased IBUs while only boiling for 20 minutes. It seemed to work well since I'm happy with the final product.

All Simcoe:
1 oz "FWH" for lack of a better term
1 oz 15 minutes
1 oz between 0-5 minutes
1 oz dry hop

I think it's different with extract than it is with all grain since the hop pellets are still in the boil for extract, but not if you do it all grain.

?? The hop pellets are also in the boil with all grain. First wort hopping is when you add hops to the boil kettle right before you start to lauter. As you lauter the warm, sweet wort floods over the hops and they steep at a warm, but not boiling, temperature until you are done sparging. Once you are done with the sparge the boil kettle is brought up to a boil. From here the brewer can conduct the boil as he or she normally would.

Perhaps you are thinking of mash hopping. That is pretty self-explanatory. Those hops do not enter the BK.

You could get carried away like Green Flash does with Hamilton's ale and do a reiterative mash with mash hops and fwh and all that other stuff.

The hops stay in the wort during the boil with all grain as well, so it should be the same. Was the bitterness any smoother than with just a regular hop addition?

Only different between all grain and extract is how you get your sugars/flavor/color, the boil is the same.

My mistake - thanks for correcting, I've obviously never done FWH with all grain.

My beer turned out good, nice and smooth bitterness. But, I've not done a sister beer without the FWH hops for comparison.

Edit: Deleted so as not to hijack the thread. I was indeed thinking of mash hopping.

Back