Gather 'round the Campfire: Outdoor related thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last season I was dove hunting, i was standing by a water tank (pond) and the ground nearby looked like it was moving. When I went to investigate the ground was covered with literally thousands of toads each one about an inch long. Seems like it would have skeeved me out, but I thought it was really neat. Here is a picture of another friend that I found while dove hunting.

IMG_0574.JPG

nope nope nope... I'd rather see bears than snakes. Heading out to Black Hills/Custer for 5 days then Yellowstone for 5 and Tetons for 3. Leave 2 weeks from tomorrow. Have camp sites reserved and Day hikes already planned.

Lots of hiking over the years, growing up in CO, being stationed in WA, CA, and HI have helped out. The Ko'olau range on HI was nearly a weekend obsession for three years. Done plenty of 14ers in CO, did Whitney, Shasta, San Jack, Old Greyback and Sugarloaf in CA. I prefer scrambles over technical routes.

Fly fishing is a lifelong pursuit of mine. Not a big fan of camping, though.

Weekend camping has always been a big thing for me but our family recently fell into backpacking in a big way. Looking forward to my first CO trip in a week.

I hiked 600 of the 2200 miles on the Appalachian Trail before I threw my back out f***ing off at a party. I had to hotel up for 11 days trying to recover. Spent my entire budget on hotel room, food and booze and had to call it. I'm going back next year to (restart) and finish what I started..it haunts me. I literally have nightmares about it.

Snakes..I used to fight wildfires and have been within inches of being bit by timber rattlers and western diamondbacks on 3 separate occasions. If I wouldn't have had to carry them around for 21+ days in the scorching desert (which is on fire) I'd have me a couple nice belts!

I made Eagle Scout by 15. Duck, pheasant hunting and fly fishing are almost more addictive than home brewing. So, long rant short. Yes, I am outdoorsy :)

Yep... try to get in 700-800 trail miles a year and have the last three years. 32 days in the tent last year... This year sucks for us, in many ways, but also outdoors/hiking-backpacking wise, just barley broke 200 miles this week. Mom needed us up in Oregon until she crossed... then estate stuff.

But!! We are back on the trails and in the gym getting ready for a week in the Winds at the end of August, then onto Colorado for a week in the Rockies near Granby. This fall we should finish the Arizona Trail - been working on it for 2 years now - we have 112 miles of the 800 to go. For the AZ folks: the Mazatzals, Rincons through Saguaro NP, then from Patagonia south to Mexico.

Cheers! Don

Living in CO has it perks! We try and get out as often as we can, which isn't nearly enough these days. I'm pretty much finished tent camping though. We bought a small travel trailer (very basic) and take that up to RMNP throughout the summer and fall. We spent 4 days in Mesa Verde last month.

Try to do outdoor pursuits as much as I can, but harder to find as much time lately. Outdoor-oriented career helps some (forestry-wildlife) but career advancement tends to move toward predominantly office work.

I'm posting this from a tent in the Eastern Sierra.

My son is somewhere in the eastern Sierras as well, backpacking with friends ("just" a quick ~250 mile trip). He was bitten by the long distance hiking bug a few years ago, has hiked several of the major trails, and (seemingly) works to support the next trip. To be young and unencumbered - sometimes I'm a bit jealous.

I'm pretty much finished tent camping though. We bought a small travel trailer (very basic) and take that up to RMNP throughout the summer and fall.

Understand... we have a Class B RV that we call "Basecamp." We prefer sleeping in it over our tent but the wilderness calls! In our early 60's so hoping for another 10 years or so of backpacking but damn I am getting too old some days to dress laying down!

Eastern Sierra...250 miles... we tried 21 days straight last year submitting a John Muir Trail permit...nada

Cheers! Don

My wife, dogs, and I have been exploring Colorado for about 6 years now. My back is jacked (waiting for my spine surgeon as I type this 😑) so we bought an old TrailManor this spring and try to camp at least 2 weekends a month. Can't really hike right now, maybe after surgery and recovery but I love to be in the mountains and love fishing and drinking beer around a campfire with friends. Cheers! 🍻

Yep... try to get in 700-800 trail miles a year and have the last three years. 32 days in the tent last year... This year sucks for us, in many ways, but also outdoors/hiking-backpacking wise, just barley broke 200 miles this week. Mom needed us up in Oregon until she crossed... then estate stuff.

But!! We are back on the trails and in the gym getting ready for a week in the Winds at the end of August, then onto Colorado for a week in the Rockies near Granby. This fall we should finish the Arizona Trail - been working on it for 2 years now - we have 112 miles of the 800 to go. For the AZ folks: the Mazatzals, Rincons through Saguaro NP, then from Patagonia south to Mexico.

Cheers! Don

That stretch of the AZ Trail south of Patagonia (near Redrock Canyon) is some pretty country!

Well, the Mazatzals, too!

You on Facebook have already seen it, but I just got home from my "secret" camping place. It's a private lake, surrounded by 1000 acres of private land. We go there pretty often, but don't usually camp there (it's not far from our cottage). We also go hiking for waterfalls, canoeing, kayaking, etc. We just love solitude, as well as beauty.

IMG_8125[1].jpg

I don't backpack much anymore- I'm too old and crabby to sleep on the ground I think.

Lake Fausse Pointe State Park in Louisiana was a good trip. Load up the big canoe and paddle to the very primitive campsite. We floated with gators and saw wild black boar, the long hair and chiseled body looking ones, along the banks.

And the stars. There and in parts of Mississippi you can see the purple ribbons in the night sky.

Camping and or hiking/backpacking whenever I get the chance. Tasmania has some of the most stunning and secluded places in the world.

Understand... we have a Class B RV that we call "Basecamp." We prefer sleeping in it over our tent but the wilderness calls! In our early 60's so hoping for another 10 years or so of backpacking but damn I am getting too old some days to dress laying down!

Eastern Sierra...250 miles... we tried 21 days straight last year submitting a John Muir Trail permit...nada

Cheers! Don

Good for you! Early 50's here and beginning to give my tents away to my daughter. I have/had a 3 season backpacking tent, a 4 season backpacking tent, a 4 person tent, and 2 10 person tents. Several bags to fit the season (winter camping, anyone?!) And more gear than I know what to do with (anyone need an ice axe or crampons?)

But 2 years ago we went camping at the Grand Canyon, got in late and put the tent up in a downpour (was that an Arc that just sailed past?!).

I woke up the next morning and was about ready to offer the guy next to us $40K for his pop up!

I bought the trailer 2 weeks after we got home! I guess my back and sense of adventure both expired about the same time. :(

That stretch of the AZ Trail south of Patagonia (near Redrock Canyon) is some pretty country!

Well, the Mazatzals, too!

That whole area around Patagonia was stunning! Most folks wouldn't think of tall grass prairie areas in AZ!

We have been trying to do the Mazatzals for 2 years now... feet injuries from Paria Canyon in spring of 2016 and dealing with mom's estate this April/May... hopefully this fall we can get in there. We have like 38-40 miles from Mt. Peeley TH to the Verde River. Unfortunately water is really scarce on that section... add to that most of that area is through old burn scar so it is more of a cool weather hike. We will get it!

Cheers! Don

... And more gear than I know what to do with (anyone need an ice axe or crampons?)

But 2 years ago we went camping at the Grand Canyon, got in late and put the tent up in a downpour (was that an Arc that just sailed past?!).

I woke up the next morning and was about ready to offer the guy next to us $40K for his pop up!

I bought the trailer 2 weeks after we got home! I guess my back and sense of adventure both expired about the same time. :(

My daughter and her husband are partners in an outdoor adventure company in Oregon... (Rare Earth Adventures)I gave her my old crampons, ice axe and my rock climbing rack. I go to visit their home and here is all my old gear hung up on the wall like all of it was antique!! Made me feel old!

Don't lose that sense of adventure! We lived overseas for years and came back pretty out of shape at 50 years old after little activity... started walking...then hiking...then backpacking and kind of worked back up to where we wanted to be. It isn't overnight but it can be done!

Cheers! Don

This thread kind of died.... But had to come back to say we finished the Arizona Trail! 800 miles from Utah to the Mexican border - 2 years, 9 months of section hiking. Some sections as day hikes and other pieces up to 5-6 days out.

Now on to the Colorado trail! We did tthe first 2 sections in October...just a couple of days before the first snow in the high country. We will be back up there in July to try to hike at least half of the 500 miles this coming summer.

Fall, Winter and Spring, probably southern Utah and a few more sections of the GET trail...

Cheers! Don

Getting back into it with the kiddos here in MD, coming from lots of camping in AZ as a Scout. Just established campgrounds to start, would love to get into a bit more backpacking.

Personally think kids need to get outside...get we, get dirty and just learn to enjoy the great outdoors...without handheld devices... of course I'm an old guy ;-)

Cheers! Don

We have rules for camping. The kid's devices stay home, the adult's devices stay in the car. Where we go you have to drive an hour to get a signal, so they're pretty useless for emergencies.

A horse of a different color maybe, but I was sailing my dory today. Warm for the season, over 60, strong breeze, up to 27 knots gusts (31mph). I had a little trouble with that, but got out of it only wet.
I've sailed thousands of miles, day and night, year round, inshore and offshore (in bigger boats). I love it more than anything.

I always loved going to sea. And I always loved coming home. It was the months and months in between that got me down. And they never let me drive.

But yeah, going out to where there's nothing but sea and sky, away from the rotten stench of the shore, that's wonderful, man.

As long as it's nice out, I'm outside, walking the dog, hiking, fishing, hunting, kayaking, mountain biking, beaching. Life's too short to spend it indoors.

I miss sailing... for years I had something with sails from a Laser to an O'Day 25' that I kept on the Columbia River. Did some offshore sailing with a friend who had a 54' ketch - helped bring it from Florida over to Mexico then met him again in Belize for a few weeks...fun!

Now live in central AZ, in the Pines, a few lakes not far but a boat just isn't in the cards anymore... loving the hiking though!

Cheers! Don

I always loved going to sea. And I always loved coming home. It was the months and months in between that got me down. And they never let me drive.

But yeah, going out to where there's nothing but sea and sky, away from the rotten stench of the shore, that's wonderful, man.

I went to sea for Uncle Sam in the Coast Guard, which had shorter ships and shorter cruises. (Except icebreakers, brrrr. I didn't do that) I think my longest cruise was eight weeks. And as a Boatswain's Mate, I did drive. Small boats too. I loved that, but now that I am over 50, I'm glad that I decide when to go out and when to come back.

I greatly respect the 'Kneedeep Navy'. In the USN, we constantly train for stuff we pray never happens. Coasties are out there every day and night, saving lives and keeping people safe. We ran from hurricanes, you guys run into them. Real seamanship. Total respect from an old CPO. Thank you.

Back