Gelatin at fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about using gelatin to clean up a batch I have on the go right now. I looked through previous posts, and MOST say to crash cool with gelatin, but there are some that use gelatin at fermentation temps.
What I am planning is after fermentation is nearly complete, add the gelatin, and give it a week or so to do it's thing. Fermenting in the upper end of the 60's right now. I am in no rush for this to be anywhere, so time is not a real factor. After everything is done, this will be kegged, so force carbing can be done.
Will this get the job done, or is it not worth it if it will not be cold crashed?

if time isn't an issue then I would let it sit without adding the gelatin. You may be surprised that it may not need it at all

I guess what I meant is would it still work. If it does work that well, and there is not a huge amount of extra effort to it, I might start doing it. If there is only a slight improvement, then I know not to bother with the extra step.

I personally like using gelatin for a couple of reasons.

1. I do not like the smell of too much yeast. If I have a hoppy brew this does not matter so much, but when I brew a lighter beer, there is sometimes a more yeasty, fruity, smell that if I use gelatin helps clean up.
2. Gelatin wil drop your beer crystal clear

Now when to do it:
The best way (not the easiest) is rack to a secondary and do it then. - Then when you bottle or keg it .. it will be clear.
I do it the keg, problem there is that If I move that keg or take it to a party, it will shake up all the sediment on the bottom and when you tap it .. not good drink.

If I leave it in my kegorator ... no problems at all.

It works either temp.
It takes about 2-3 days for it to drop clear.

Good luck.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. It works at either temps, but might take longer. I am going to do a hydro test this weekend, maybe add the gelatin Monday, and hopefully keg next weekend. If it doesn't work, I won't do the gelatin again.

Back