Genious or Retard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to go give my resignation letter to the president of our company. SWMBO and I are purchasing the local weekly Newspapers, and I will need to dedicate my time there.
This is either the smartest, or the dumbest thing I've ever done!

Good luck.

Will it be renamed to BigKahuna Press or The Brewing Times??

Hopefully it will be the dumbest smart thing you did and not the smartest dumb one. :D

Can I write tasteful and somehow totally incomprehensible articles for you!? :D

PS, for a newspaper, you might wanna bone up on the spelling of genius. ;)

Good luck. If you ever need an editor, I'm just a PM away.:D
This is a brave move given the state of newspapers today. I hope there's some solvency there. With a weekly, you're going to really have to cover the crap out of the community to offer a local alternative to whatever larger paper might be near you. That's going to be a fight because larger papers are all going hyper-local lately, but it's a battle that can be won.

Congrats to you.

Only time will tell if it was a stupid move, but as long as you learn something from it who cares?

Hope you do well, it's a tough time to start into the print news business.

Wow. That's awesome, but good luck - that's a helluva hard business to make a dime in, even when the economy's not in the crapper. You'll have to give us the paper's website so we can go vandalize the comments boards.

Good luck ... if you don't already have it, invest in QPS or Adobe Creative suites (though QPS is better editorial-wise).

Fantastic idea. You were looking for a job when the one you're about to leave came along.

We expect to see a weekly "Craft Beer Review" section.

Let us know if you need some materials. :D

I vote YES :D

WOW brotha that's hardcore. So I wonder how much emphasis are going to be beer and mead related?

I can just see the front page one day...:D

Big Picture and article on Triple Arrogant Bastard hitting the stores. And below the fold,

And in other news, California slides into the Ocean and dissappears, but Washington State's brewing industry is still safe.

:D

you got my prayers and stuff buddy!!!

:mug:

Done And Done!
That kinda sucked. I've never quit a job that I liked before. Usually I've been able to go storming in and say "**** YOU! I QUIT!"

This time.....I almost puked.

Printed newspaper is a dying format; I don't think it'll ever be completely dead, but it'll never be what it once was. I think this is either a very bold & ballsy move, or a very stupid one; only you will be able to tell for sure. I wish you luck on your new venture. Regards, GF.
EDIT: Smoke a cigar at work & get a J. Jonah Jameson haircut. LOL

Congrats, BK. Are you staying on to finish out, or did they show you the door?

I think this is a ballsy move, but in a good way. I'd guess that out in Genoa, local events get ZERO coverage from the Denver Rocky Mountain News Post or whatever they call themselves now. Here's to the Media Baron of the East.

PS: Working with SWMBO is what would scare me, personally. Some couples can work together, others shouldn't. I'm glad you guys are of the "can" variety.

Printed newspaper is a dying format; I don't think it'll ever be completely dead, but it'll never be what it once was. I think this is either a very bold & ballsy move, or a very stupid one; only you will be able to tell for sure. I wish you luck on your new venture. Regards, GF.
EDIT: Smoke a cigar at work & get a J. Jonah Jameson haircut. LOL

I dunno 'bout that. The local rag I work for has a circulation of around 9,000 The full paper is available in an online version in the same format as the paper version. The internet version has a subscription of just 130!! It turns out, in local papers, people actually WANT all that junk mail that you don't get in an online paper and they will even subscribe to our crappy newspaper to get it!

I dunno 'bout that. The local rag I work for has a circulation of around 9,000 The full paper is available in an online version in the same format as the paper version. The internet version has a subscription of just 130!! It turns out, in local papers, people actually WANT all that junk mail that you don't get in an online paper and they will even subscribe to our crappy newspaper to get it!
Nail on the head there, man with the new name. Weeklies will always have better print circ numbers than online, partly because they're usually too small to compete with better web sites and partly because people like to see other people they know in the paper.

and it's hard to start a fire in the fireplace with internet news. ;)

Good luck! Personally I love my weekly local paper. I've completely given up on the daily.

Just think of the possibilities.....you have the equipment you can print anything you want to. How about a quarterly brewing paper?

John

You totally should have puked....that would have been awesome! :mug:

haha, I quit, BLEEHHH, and I guess you can take the cost of those shoes out of my final check.:(

Good luck BK. Of course we all expect a brew section, but realistically, are you gonna do one? Or occasionally cover the craft?

Congratulations and kudos for making such a giant leap. Someday I hope to have the spine to venture out on my own.

Now We're getting somewhere.
That's a great idea! I'd do it if SWMBO can sell enough advertising for it!

That is so cool for you to do this. Carry on the family tradition type thing. Our local paper is 154 years old. I like history like that.
Start out with a brewing/vintner column and expand it to a section then perhaps it can take on a life of its own. Bon chance mon ami!

As others have said: Ballsy.

I work for a local television network affiliate and we're taking a BEATING...and the local paper is in WORSE shape. I really commend you for making this move now when the economy is in the crapper and advertising is the first budgetary cut made.

God, the lure of working for myself is intoxicating. Perhaps one day I'll grab my sack and do as you have done!

In all seriousness, best of luck to you. I have nothing but respect for your decision. It takes a man (and his SWMBO apparently) to make such a leap of faith.

If I can help you in any way (I know you don't know me from Adam...but whatever), I am happy to be of assistance. I DO have a degree in English after all! Maybe finally I could put it to good use.

Cheers to you.

Deacon

Best wishes to you, BigK! I just hope that this newspaper bidness doesn't take away from your sharing of wisdom here.

The best part about being your own boss: you get to make all the decisions.

The worst part about being your own boss: you have to make all the decisions.

Back