Getting past the green beer phase...chilled or room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIce

Reaction score
Do your beers get past that initial green stage faster via room temp or cold storage? I keg, so I am typically packaging after 2-3 weeks in primary, but it seems it is usually another 2-3 weeks before my beers hit their stride.

It is my understanding that any conditioning needs to be done at 70-75° F, as it is the yeast cleaning up after themselves that drives off the "green" flavour. Refrigeration will cause the yeast to slow down &/or go dormant.

But, I am a green noob, and may be mistaken. Anyone wants to correct me, please feel free. I am here to learn!

Sitting in the keg at service temp (38-40*F) for a couple of weeks can actually improve the character of many beers. I like to cold crash the primary a week, rack the cold beer to the keg, put it on 11-12psi at serving temp and let it sit 2 weeks. That lets it carb and cold condition at the same time.

I agree about "hitting their stride"........... I bottle, and often sample beers at different stages.... I find that 6 weeks from pitch is about optimal for most "normal" beers I brew.

H.W.

Do your beers get past that initial green stage faster via room temp or cold storage? I keg, so I am typically packaging after 2-3 weeks in primary, but it seems it is usually another 2-3 weeks before my beers hit their stride.

You need to provide some additional information to get any meaningful feedback.

What types of beer do you brew? What's your process, especially with respect to yeast preparation and fermentation temperatures? What do you package in?

A Hefeweizen should be ready to drink within two weeks of brewing if kegged. An Imperial Stout might take a month or two. A sour beer could be ready in two weeks or two years (or more) depending on the style and process.

You need to provide some additional information to get any meaningful feedback.

What types of beer do you brew? What's your process, especially with respect to yeast preparation and fermentation temperatures? What do you package in?

A Hefeweizen should be ready to drink within two weeks of brewing if kegged. An Imperial Stout might take a month or two. A sour beer could be ready in two weeks or two years (or more) depending on the style and process.

I typically brew AG BIAB IPAs with abv between 6-9% and IBU between 45-100+. I make starters on a stir plate using mr malty's pitching guidelines. I ferm at 66, then 70 at the tail end of ferm to clean up. Cold crash for 3 days after 2-3 weeks of primary then keg and leave at serving pressure to carb. Seems the bigger IPAs take 2-3 weeks on gas before they clear and taste less green.

How would you describe the green character? Is it yeast bite from suspended yeast or is it metabolites like acetaldehyde?

Seems more yeasty than anything. I use 1056 for nearly everything.

In my experience, 1056 seems to take its good old time dropping out. The beers I make with this yeast take around 5-6 weeks to start tasting good. Not to say they taste bad before that, but thy are pretty "green".

Latest posts

Back