Giga Yeast Gy054

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Picked up a pack today. Since the Giga Yeast contains 200b cells would I go about making a starter the same way as I would with Wyeast or White Labs pack?

I bought a conan type yeast from giga and made it as any normal starter for a 5g. The starter had a strong fermentation and so did the wort so I wouldn't change your normal process.

How old is your yeast? how many cells do you need to properly inoculate your wort? Are you trying to overbuild to save yeast? You may not need a starter with a "normal" gravity 5 gallon batch.

The yeast is from mid March.
I'm only brewing a two gal batch and I want to overbuild to harvest.
I didn't check brew United but if I had to guess I will prob need 70-90 B cells.
I only have a 2L flask so just want to make sure it is big enough.

I just pitched this yeast for my first time about an hour ago. I made a 2 liter starter with 200 grams of XLDME for each packet of yeast. I am going to start the fermentation out at 63 degrees for a couple of days and start ramping up from there. I am anxious to see how this new yeast does for me.

So far, this yeast has been acting very "Big Starter" like. Long story short, I had to cold crash both of my 2 liter starters due to my brew day being pushed out 5 days. I warmed both starters up about 4 hours prior to pitching and of course decanted the wort on top of the yeast. I really wasn't expecting much activity to soon as the yeast was still cold when I pitched. Anywho, 12 hours later, with the swamp cooler at 63 degrees, I had quite a bit of air lock activity. 24 hours, both carbons were rocking. I am holding the swamp cooler temp at 64 degrees. I am very anxious to try this beer.

I will be brewing next Saturday. Last starter I made it was finished in 24-30 hrs but left on the stirplate for 3 days.
This time I will begin the starter on Tuesday or Wednesday, then once it's finished will transfer the harvested amount then cold crash the amount I need for my batch.
Last time I ended up pitching right when I removed from the stirplate and the amount pitched was 27oz. Didn't affect the end result but put my fermenter at 100 capacity and created a mess.

For those who have used this yeast, what color is it when poured from the pouch and does it have an aroma?
I ask because I made a starter on Wednesday and when I poured the yeast into the flask there was really no aroma and the color was white (sort of). Ive never used this yeast before but previous liquid yeasts I've used was more of a brown color and have a distinctive aroma.
Also, the first 12 hrs or so had a foam ring but then it pretty much dropped and nothing has been happening since.

My starter poured like a dirty mop water brown. It fermented the beer just fine but I had to cold crash and fine with gelatin to get it all out of suspension when kegging the final product

I pitched Saturday morning and since I was going to be away from home all day, I added a blow off tube just in case. Since then, never saw any activity. Switched to an airlock this morning and opened the bucket to see what was going on. There was obvious signs of fermentation but not what I expected. I'll let it go a few more days then will do a gravity check.

This was a strange yeast. Didn't act like any other yeast I have used. Hopefully all will be good.
Raising temps to 65 today and 67/68 in a couple days to finish up.

Back