Ginger Rye Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgBrew12

Reaction score
I brewed the austin homebrew summer rye extract recipe a while back, and added in my own ginger at the end of the boil. The beer turned out great, and I had alot of friends who really appreciated it.

Now, I am going to attempt to convert this recipe to all grain and brew it this weekend.

Here is the 5 gall BIAB recipe I have come up with. Let me know yalls thoughts. Any advice is appreciated.

6 lb Pilsen
1/2 lb Crystal 20L
1/2 lb Rye
1/4 lb Carapils

1 oz Cascade 60 min
1 oz Cluster 15 min
1 oz Tettnang 5 min

Mash at 150 deg F for 1 hour. Add 1/2 lb of fresh diced ginger root in boil at 10 minute mark.

Yeast: White Labs Cal Ale 001

I would increase the Pilsen malt & decrease the ginger. You can always make a tincture of ginger and add it at bottling to taste if it's too low. Looks like a great combo!

I would increase the Pilsen malt & decrease the ginger. You can always make a tincture of ginger and add it at bottling to taste if it's too low. Looks like a great combo!

Appreciate the feedback! I know its alot of ginger... but I really liked the punch of ginger this beer had when I brewed it.

I've noticed the ginger definitely mulls out over time. The bottles I drank initially after the normal 2 weeks conditioning had quite a ginger taste, but the ginger definitely mellowed over time.

Cheers!

Back