Golden Ale without snazzy hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to share the recipe for a beer I recently made and turned out very good.

50% Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner + 50% Weyermann Vienna
1 x Nottingham
Mandarina Bavaria 8%AA ( 2018 ) + Brewers Gold 4.5%AA ( 2018 ) + Comet 8.8%AA ( 2017 ) * All german grown *
5.2% ABV / 35 IBU / OG: 1.051 / FG: 1.011 / Mash temp. 65C/149F for 60 minutes. Boiled for 90 minutes.
Mash water profile: 30 ppm Ca + 5 ppm Mg + 20 ppm Na + 25 ppm SO4 + 60 ppm Cl / Mash pH: 5.2-5.3

25 gr Brewers Gold ---> 60 minutes left in the boil
25 gr each of Brewers Gold, Comet and Mandarina Bavaria ---> 1 minute left in the boil
50 gr Brewers Gold + 75 gr Mandarina Bavaria + 75 gr Comet ---> Whirlpool at 70C/158F for 30 minutes. Bottled at day 12 and ready to drink 5-7 days later with 2.5 vol. CO2.

No dry hopping. I only added Brewtan B ( mash + boil ) and dried Irish Moss to the boil. The recipe was built to be much cheaper than a regular one using more expensive hops.

Now 10.5 oz ( total ) might seem like a lot, but I only gave 3 dollars for each 3.5 oz of those hops. All 3 were pellets and smelled very pungent and fresh from the bag. The resulting beer is very good, with lots of citrus ( soft tangerine, with grapefruit ), grassy, floral notes. Flavour is the same, with a mild bitterness. Soft, crisp and pretty dry. ( the beer is actually much lighter than appears in the picture )
20190410_130128.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to add that the beer was fermented low, at around 60F. Knowing that Nottingham is a multistrain and has some Lager yeast in it, I knew that it could bring something to the table when fermented low. The beer has some Lager-ish characteristics, being crisp, dry, with the biscuitty notes form Vienna coming through and having a bit of that " Lager smell ". The beer has the slightest tartness if you really look for it, which some of you may or may have not encountered when using Nottingham, but for me, adds crispness.

Back