Good example of a Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
I was thinking today about all the different beers that I could brew:D I just realized that one beer I really have not paid to much attention to is a red ale. I really can't remember if I have had one or not. What is a good example Irish Red Ale or Red Ale that I could try to see if I might be interested:confused:

Killians is a lager, isn't it?

The only red ale I can recall having was called "Nectar," by some brewery in CA. It was less than spectacular.

I always thought red ale was like amber ale....pretty much something the US microbrewers concocted to broaden their line-up with something on on the light side, with mass appeal.

anthrobe said:
What is a good example Irish Red Ale or Red Ale that I could try to see if I might be interested
BJCP says:

9D. Irish Red Ale
Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.

Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager (if so, generally will not exhibit a diacetyl character). When served too cold, the roasted character and bitterness may seem more elevated.
Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.

Commercial Examples: Moling's Irish Red Ale, Smithwick's Irish Ale, Kilkenny Irish Beer, Beamish Red Ale, Caffrey's Irish Ale, Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale, Murphy's Irish Red (lager), Boulevard Irish Ale, Harpoon Hibernian Ale

10B. American Amber Ale
History: Known simply as Red Ales in some regions, these beers were popularized in the hop-loving Northern California and the Pacific Northwest areas before spreading nationwide.

Comments: Can overlap in color with American pale ales. However, American amber ales differ from American pale ales not only by being usually darker in color, but also by having more caramel flavor, more body, and usually being balanced more evenly between malt and bitterness. Should not have a strong chocolate or roast character that might suggest an American brown ale (although small amounts are OK).

Commercial Examples: Mendocino Red Tail Ale, North Coast Red Seal Ale, St. Rogue Red Ale, Avery Redpoint Ale, Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale, Bell's Amber, Hoptown Paint the Town Red, McNeill's Firehouse Amber Ale

Wild

I had never had a good red ale until just recently when I visited the only local brewpub. Their red ale was AWESOME. Killian's is ok, a regional microbrew makes one that is worse, but still ok, and I haven't found any others. But man, this stuff from the brewpub was excellent. I've decided to brew one just to see if I can get that same red tea subtlety that I found.

if you can get your hands on the red ale from ft. collins brewing co. it is good. i'm partial to pinstripe red ale from ska, one of our locals, but objectively it's probably a mediocre beer.

Originally Posted by orfy
Kilkenny's?

A mildly-hopped reddish Irish ale named for Kilkenny, its hometown.

Also known here in the States as Smithwicks, same beer but in Europe they call it Kilkenny's . . . dont ask me why

Did some searching and here's a clone thats pretty damn close. I have made the extact version and my brother-in-law can barely tell the difference

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?group=1&item=2172 - all grain version
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?group=1&item=2153 - extract with grain version

Sam75 said:
Killians is a lager, isn't it?

The only red ale I can recall having was called "Nectar," by some brewery in CA. It was less than spectacular.

I always thought red ale was like amber ale....pretty much something the US microbrewers concocted to broaden their line-up with something on on the light side, with mass appeal.

yep, Killians Irish Red is a lager.

don't know of any true Irish red ale commercial brews?

just found some:

Moling's Irish Red Ale, Smithwick's Irish Ale, Kilkenny Irish Beer, Beamish Red Ale, Caffrey's Irish Ale, Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale, Murphy's Irish Red (lager), Boulevard Irish Ale, Harpoon Hibernian Ale

i forgot about Smithwick's. good, malty sweet brew. hard to find though. i think it was the #1 import in Canada for many, many years. fairly new to the states.....

Latest posts

Back