Good Solution for 30 Amp Portable GFCI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ntwkdsnr

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to avoid having an electrician come out and install a 30 Amp GFCI breaker in my panel. Are there any solutions for a portable GFCI device? I see a lot of North Shore Safety devices on Amazon, however, none are split phase. My control panel uses L14-30 connectors with the neutral.
Thanks,
Ed

Thanks 501irishred, It looks like that product does not include the neutral line. My system uses the L14-30 connector that includes the neutral.

Conntek PL1430L630 Generator Adapter 30-Amp 125/250-volt L14-30 4-Prong Locking Plug to 30-Amp 250-volt L6-30R Female https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVE93PU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_M-g3Db0BY3NTC

Add this to that and you’re good to go.

I thought the same, but I’m sure the neutral is being utilized for the 120V circuits. Best I can come up with is a book on DIY home electrical.......
:D
Changing out a breaker is a quick and fairly easy task, but obviously it can also be quick and deadly if correct precautions are not taken, so use your best judgement. Certainly no judgements from this side of the peanut gallery.

This one also has no neutral on the output receptacle.

Brew on :mug:
Thanks doug293cz, I built my panel from one of your designs. The neutral is needed to run the 115vac stuff like pumps, EZ-boils, etc.
I'm having an electrician stop by tomorrow to look at my breaker panel. The panel is old and from the late 80's. I may have to look at a spa panel solution if gfci breakers are not available.

Thanks doug293cz, I built my panel from one of your designs. The neutral is needed to run the 115vac stuff like pumps, EZ-boils, etc.
I'm having an electrician stop by tomorrow to look at my breaker panel. The panel is old and from the late 80's. I may have to look at a spa panel solution if gfci breakers are not available.

I've got a panel from the late 80's too (Square D "QO"). I found a GFCI breaker for it no problem (well, it was used, off ebay, but it trips fine when tested, so I trust it).

Replacing an existing breaker is a fairly simple job if you've got some DIY skills and are comfortable with electricity. Of course, you're way better off letting a pro do it, but cheapos like me just won't let go the benjis.

Latest posts

Back