gout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
F@#%ing gout. I have been dealing with this for a while now and being a brewer it is really killing me. I have to limit the amount of beer that I drink and take some medication daily, what a pain in the fluxing asz.

ha they just had a house episode about this...bummer man. You are gonna have to brew and gift instead. Atleast for me brewing is just as fun as consuming

I can drink but it has to be in extreme moderation, I usually have a about a beer a week.

well I wish the F@#$ing doc would give me some pain medication

Do you mind me asking... why? Is it the acidic nature of beer? I understand gout is excruciating

The main cause of gout is purines in food but it could have something to do with acids.
Yea it can be excruciating.

basically my body doesn't process uric acid properly and the uric acid causes crystal pins to form in my joints, for me its usually my knees

as alcohol is metabolized, part of it breaks down into lactate which contributes to the retention of urate (the salt version of uric acid)

alcgout2.gif

Have you talked to your doc about going on allopurinol? It is a med that lessens the amount of uric acid in your blood to decrease the amount that will crystalize in the joints.

I've never had a problem with it but am starting to wonder. A few days ago I woke up and my right ankle was sore, like I slept on it wrong. Was on my feet for 8 hours yesterday at a wedding and by the end I couldn't even walk. It was swollen to twice the size of my left. :mad: Happened once before a year or so ago.

I've never had a problem with it but am starting to wonder. A few days ago I woke up and my right ankle was sore, like I slept on it wrong. Was on my feet for 8 hours yesterday at a wedding and by the end I couldn't even walk. It was swollen to twice the size of my left. :mad: Happened once before a year or so ago.

Sounds like gout to me. I'm just coming off a 5-day bout.

yea fire that's exactly how it started for me. I woke up and could hardly walk. Is you ankle hot to the touch?

Was a little warm but not bad otherwise. Feels much better today, a lot less swelling. Great. Just what I need. :cross:

Was reading a wiki article on it, found this interesting:

Foods to avoid:
Alcohol.[56] Some claim that this applies especially to beer (high in guanosine), on the basis that brewer's yeasts are very rich in purine.
Sounds like unfiltered homebrew is a prime vehicle for that.

When my father was alive he had the gout. He took medicine for it which helped after a while. But the doctor also suggested cherry juice. We found pure frozen concentrate at our local grocery store. something like a table spoon a day, i dont really remember how much we would take. maybe check your local health store or supermarket.

also check this it may help Is there a Cherry Juice Gout Cure?

Just an idea.

Was a little warm but not bad otherwise. Feels much better today, a lot less swelling. Great. Just what I need. :cross:

Was reading a wiki article on it, found this interesting:

Sounds like unfiltered homebrew is a prime vehicle for that.

Yeah - my dad had this last Christmas. He hasn't consumed a 6 pack TOTAL in the last 40 years.

You can also get black cherry capsules at GNC and other health food stores. I take them year round and keep a supply of colchicine around. I usually get it in my big toe after stubbing/injuring it. When that happens I start on the colchicine before the symptoms even start showing up. When you get gout you'll know it, it's not like a sprain or strain. It feels like shards of glass are in the affected joint. Good luck getting rid of it.

Back