Grab bag of hops. Thinking of brewing a Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucketnative

Reaction score
So, I got a 13 oz grab bag of hops for $12. It contains the following:

Palisade 8.7
Liberty 4.9
Crystal 4.1
US Fuggle 5.2
Columbus 13.4
Meridian 6.7
Hersbrucket 2.0
Vanguard 5.1
Merkur 12.4
Chinook
Mt Hood 6.1
EKG 5.6

I was thinking of a Belgian IPA (81% Pilsner, 9% Aromatic, 10% Turbinado - WY3522) with about 60 IBU.

The hop schedule I was thinking of:
1 oz Columbus (13.4 AA) - 60 min
1 oz Vanguard (5.1 AA) - 5 min
1 oz EKG (5.6) - 5 min

Dry hop 4 days:
1 oz Liberty
1 oz Palisade

I am hoping for a spicy/floral (rather than fruity) hop presence. Any other suggestions with hop mix?

Use Merkur rather than Columbus to bitter. Add the Hersbrucket with the aroma hops and add the Mt Hood to the dry hop. You have a very good selection of spicy hops in there, with several of them having noble hop parentage. Ha, I just saw you even have Fuggles: a nice earthy / spicy mix.

Use Merkur rather than Columbus to bitter. Add the Hersbrucket with the aroma hops and add the Mt Hood to the dry hop. You have a very good selection of spicy hops in there, with several of them having noble hop parentage. Ha, I just saw you even have Fuggles: a nice earthy / spicy mix.

Yeah, this was definitely not a hop mix for someone who loves American IPAs. I'll save the Columbus for a AIPA that I am planning as well.

I like the addition of Hersbrucker at the aroma step. I've never used Mt. Hood, but I'll give it whirl.

Thanks

Yeah, not a very American-oriented bag. Very good for lots of stuff, though. You can make good Belgian, German and British style beers with that lot. You could save some Fuggles, EKG and a bittering hop for making a bitter or a golden ale. Crystal would probably work ok in such a beer instead of the EKG. If you wanted to make the most out of it you could get quite a few beers out of it, including Festbier.

Latest posts

Back