Grain mill question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oujens

Reaction score
Curious for you folks you invested in a grain mill, do you still struggle with inconsistent efficiency or has it helped you dial in your target numbers? I've recently experienced swings from 68% to 75% (nothing in between) and I have to believe it's the crush. I was skeptical of the crush on my last batch at the LHBS and hit 68%. The 75% I was very happy with the crush. Same mill too. My numbers have been up and down consistently. I feel I have done everything to make sure equipment is not the issue and use the same process for each batch. Has to be the crush costing me that much efficiency. I've had some other items on my mind to purchase, but this is getting frustrating. Any recommendations on a mill?

I float in the 60-65% range with BIAB. I made a finer crush and changed my process a bit to hammer down closer to 65%. I don't have a fancy mill, Just a hand powered Victoria mill. It takes 45 minutes to crush 12-14lbs of grain.

I have the same issue, eventually i'll purchase a descent grain mill, in the meantime, i am at the mercy of the HBS grain mill. My next batch, i plan on purchasing the grains from a different HBS near me, perhaps their mill is set up for a finer crush. I really don't want to spend another $100 plus on another piece of equipment right now.

For me I don't care if I hit 75% or 68%. I just need to hit it consistently. That is a big swing for OG. Luckily this last batch might not be too bad since I was on the lower end of the bittering range. Might even turn out better for the style and more sessionable. Sample tasted good. I did boil some water off but didn't want to stare at my boil for 2 hours.

I have used a grain mill from the start of my all grain brewing setup. I feel it is the best way to keep consistency in efficiency trusting a HBS shop to mill the grain will result in more fluctuation

I got a grain mill for Christmas and my efficiency has greatly improved compared to LHBS and/or grains pre crushed from somewhere like Morebeer or MWS. Efficiency is a steady 75 to 80%. I dialed it in using a credit card. I have had great luck with my Cereal Killer grain mill. It seems to be on the low end range, but I haven't had a problem at all. I've gone through maybe 50 or more pounds so far. It can usually be found for 89.99 or 99.99 and free shipping sometimes.

You can ask your LHBS to adjust the gap, but they may not do it, while giving you 10 reasons why the gap is set the way it is. Milling 2x is no replacement for milling once and right. The gap has everything to do with your efficiency, but not alone, a proper mash pH (5.2-5.4) is needed too.

Barley can be crushed with a 0.030-0.034" gap, depending on your process.
Wheat, rye, oats and a lot of other grain have much smaller kernels than barley. So a bit tighter gap (0.024-0.026") is needed. Same for flaked goods.

When I went AG, and buy most of my grain in bulk (group buys), I needed my own mill. After some research I bought a Monster Mill (MM2) and have been happy with it, except for the lousy base board, build your own. Most other mills will perform similarly, on typical homebrew level amounts. My mash efficiency is around 80-85%.

BIAB brewers can mill even finer and get even higher efficiency.

I got a grain mill for Christmas and my efficiency has greatly improved compared to LHBS and/or grains pre crushed from somewhere like Morebeer or MWS. Efficiency is a steady 75 to 80%. I dialed it in using a credit card. I have had great luck with my Cereal Killer grain mill. It seems to be on the low end range, but I haven't had a problem at all. I've gone through maybe 50 or more pounds so far. It can usually be found for 89.99 or 99.99 and free shipping sometimes.

I get a pretty consistent 75% with my barley crusher, I'd be willing to adjust my gap phyllobeddo, if you could send me your credit card.:)

I have a cheapy corona mill that works perfect. I have very consistent crush, I BIAB so I am able to leave it at a very fine crush.

I do on the other hand see swings in efficiency which seems to be very very closely related to the grain bill size. For 9lbs or less, I'll hit 80-85% I am usually not too worried if its in the range. For 11lbs and up I always hit right around 70%. It's not a big deal if there are swings in your efficiency as long as you are getting what you expect. It took me approximately 20 batches to really dial in and know exactly what to expect from my process. (I was able to isolate the issue when I noticed on two back to back batches of beer that had 7.5lb grain bills I hit all the way in the 90%, after those two batches I went and did a 9.5lb grain bill and hit 80%, latest beer a cherry stout had 9.75lbs and it hit 80% so I know I have consistent numbers)

Disclaimer: If you are always getting 60% then that might be bad simply because you are losing a lot of extract along the way, I've heard some of the well known home brewers say on podcasts they only get 70% and that its not a bad thing simply because they get a consistent 70%.

I hit may mash pH of 5.4. I still remember looking at those grains thinking they didn't get a good crush. I guess I can know to dial back my efficiency to compensate, but I do need to figure out a way to get a more consistent crush. Right now I feel the play is to use 71% efficiency when making a recipe and know I'll be a couple points over or under.

I have a corona-style mill which I have modified to control the gap much better than the original. I do BIAB and crush fairly fine. My mash efficiency is consistently between 85% and 86% for sub 1.070 gravity recipes. It falls off a bit at the higher gravity recipes, but the lowest I've had it is at 82% for a 1.090 gravity brew.

A mill is a good step towards consistency, you can measure it before every batch and know that your crush is the same.

Along with other improvements / additions to process and equipment over time, we're able to pretty much always attain 76-78% brewhouse efficiency (and go with longer boils for bigger beers).

Will my efficiency be different using 2 row vs. Vienna as a base malt? With Vienna I had 75% and two row 68%. I'm assuming that shouldn't matter as long as the crush is good.

I have a corona-style mill which I have modified to control the gap much better than the original. I do BIAB and crush fairly fine. My mash efficiency is consistently between 85% and 86% for sub 1.070 gravity recipes. It falls off a bit at the higher gravity recipes, but the lowest I've had it is at 82% for a 1.090 gravity brew.

Can you link me to a thread or instructions for tuning a Corona mill? When I first got mine I just hand tightened the thing up as much as I could, and got ok efficiency, but a lot of trub and shredded husks.

Will my efficiency be different using 2 row vs. Vienna as a base malt? With Vienna I had 75% and two row 68%. I'm assuming that shouldn't matter as long as the crush is good.

Vienna malt should be fine re: conversion.

Vienna and 2-row should both give you the same efficiency, if milled the same way.

As I mentioned before, your water can have an influence on your mash efficiency. High alkalinity being the usual culprit.

Vienna and 2-row should both give you the same efficiency, if milled the same way.

As I mentioned before, your water can have an influence on your mash efficiency. High alkalinity being the usual culprit.

I've switched to RO and using spreadsheets to estimate mash pH. I've noticed the improvement made by switching water sources. I've narrowed this down to crush. No leaks and volumes are spot on. I've been between 5.2 and 5.4 on my mash for the last four batches. I really think my up and down efficiency is related to the crush I'm getting. As I've said, I noticed the last two from the same mill have been different. I'm not a mill expert, but I'm not getting a consistent crush.

I've switched to RO and using spreadsheets to estimate mash pH. I've noticed the improvement made by switching water sources. I've narrowed this down to crush. No leaks and volumes are spot on. I've been between 5.2 and 5.4 on my mash for the last four batches. I really think my up and down efficiency is related to the crush I'm getting. As I've said, I noticed the last two from the same mill have been different. I'm not a mill expert, but I'm not getting a consistent crush.

It sounds like you would be the type that would enjoy controlling and measuring the crush gap in your batches!

Ah, good, leaving less variables unchecked or unknown helps to pinpoint the issue. Someone at your LHBS maybe changing the gap, or it had slipped for some time.

It sounds like you would be the type that would enjoy controlling and measuring the crush gap in your batches!

You're on to something there! :mug:

Back