Grapefruit IPA Recipee opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMarkWhite

Reaction score
Can i get an opinion for the below? I want a dominant grapefruit flavor.

Thoughts?

1.083OG
1.025FG
59IBU
3SRM
7.6%ABV

12.5 lb 2-Row (US)
2.0 lb Vienna (US)
8.0 oz Carapils (DE)

1.0 oz Simcoe (US) 60 min
0.5 oz Mosaic™ (US) 30 min
0.5 oz Mosaic™ (US) 15 min
0.5 oz Simcoe (US) 0 min Boil
1.0 oz Simcoe (US) Dry hop 7 days

It wasn't intentional, but one beer I brewed with Cascade, Amaretto and Perle had a very pronounced grapefruit flavor. I mixed all three and portioned them out for each add.

Can i get an opinion for the below? I want a dominant grapefruit flavor.

Thoughts?

1.083OG
1.025FG
59IBU
3SRM
7.6%ABV

12.5 lb 2-Row (US)
2.0 lb Vienna (US)
8.0 oz Carapils (DE)

1.0 oz Simcoe (US) 60 min
0.5 oz Mosaic™ (US) 30 min
0.5 oz Mosaic™ (US) 15 min
0.5 oz Simcoe (US) 0 min Boil
1.0 oz Simcoe (US) Dry hop 7 days

you'll get more pinefruit with simcoe, some grapefruit
but cascade and amarillo give big grapefruit flavours.
if it was me i'd add some grapefruit zest into the dryhop. that'll make it like grapefruit lol

I make a similar 2X IPA but use half the amount of Simco and 6 OZ of Mosaic, 2 of that for dry hopping.
You can smell the grapefruit across the room and has a very very pronounced grapefruit flavor.

Just finished milling my grain for a 15 gal batch and will be using a bit over a lb of Mosaic, the last of my supply.

Your FG seems a bit high...I would recommend drying it out a bit more as to not have the maltiness round out and mute the drier, more tart aspects of the grapefruit profile you are going for. I'd say somewhere around 1.016 - 1.018...I would also recommend adding gypsum during the mash to help accentuate the hop characteristics...hope this helps and happy brewing.

Centennial is like a super-Cascade to me. That's what I'd go for if all I wanted was grapefruit.

I mixed Cascade & Amarillo in one of my last batches, it was citrus with a mostly orange vibe, to me.

It was awesome!

Try a bit of acidulated malt. like 1.5% of your bill. And I like to add dextrose to dry out an IPA for pronounced hop flavor. I tried a session with the rind of a grapefruit and it tastes like an actual grapefruit if that's what you're looking for. Myself, I tossed that recipe.

Ahtanum hops by the bucket load is very grapfruit. I did a Simcoe and Ahtanum IPA which work really well to get that grapefruit flavour.

Back