Gravity samples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I did my second BIAB batch yesterday & took samples after the mash & after chilling to check my efficiency/gravity. I have the samples in mason jars (was waiting for both to get room temp) & there are two layers... Do I shake it together to check the gravity or just take the top liquid layer? I can post a picture if I'm not explaining it well enough!

Sent from my iPhone using the Home Brew Talk App

The hydrometer will only measure the density of the wort, and should not be impacted by the trub. This is because the trub, while suspended in the liquid phase, is not dissolved in it. But, I always suggest experimentation. Next time, take some wort prior to fermentation and test some in which the trub has completely settled. In another test, resuspend the trub and then take the test. I think you will find similar readings.

Another thing that might make your brew day easier is just drop your hydrometer into your kettle pre-boil and use software like beersmith to adjust the hydrometer reading for the temperature of the wort. You can do something similar post-chilling but just make sure your hydrometer is well sanitized.

Another thing that might make your brew day easier is just drop your hydrometer into your kettle pre-boil and use software like beersmith to adjust the hydrometer reading for the temperature of the wort. You can do something similar post-chilling but just make sure your hydrometer is well sanitized.

That makes sense! I had put my post mash sample into mason jar & post boil sample (after chilling) into a mason jar & set them aside til they were both at room temp.

Doing the readings right in kettle would save a couple steps, as minor as they may be & also save from washing a couple things :)

Brain fart on not thinking of the trub & all... Usually I'd do my readings quick and not let the samples sit around so never really noticed any separation.

Sent from my iPhone using the Home Brew Talk App

Back