GUINNESS Foreign Extra Stout being discontinued in US?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenForward

lllll_llllll_llll_llllll
Reaction score
GUINNESS Foreign Extra Stout being discontinued in US? I hope not. I guy at a liquor store told me this tonight. :(:confused:

Have no fear. We make beer.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Foreign Extra Stout
Brewer: Cannman
Asst Brewer:
Style: Foreign Extra Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

38 and 39 points BJCP at Regional Competition - Los Angeles

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.41 gal
Post Boil Volume: 10.66 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 36.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 66.75 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 68.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
21 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 67.5 %
4 lbs 4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 13.5 %
2 lbs 2.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %
2 lbs Barley, Black Roasted (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.3 %
1 lbs 14.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.0 %
2.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 50.4 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.7 pkg Nottingham (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: 04 Medium-Full Body (154F) BIAB
Total Grain Weight: 31 lbs 8.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 15.59 gal of water at 161.5 F 154.0 F 50 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I highly doubt it. I just can't see Guinness shooting themselves in the foot by stopping exports to one of the largest beer consuming countries per capita in the entire world. But as Canman said, have no fear. We make beer! :mug:

Slightly OT:
...guy at a liquor store told me this tonight. :(:confused:

Two weeks ago I had the 'Beer Manager' at Goody Goody tell me that Lagunitas Lil Sumpin "is being discontinued so they will have room for one of their new beers". I haven't found anything to confirm that either. Makes me wonder where such information comes from.

Probably it is being discontinued from that specific store/chain and not everywhere. It was a slow enough seller they move on and try new things to fill the slot.

Slightly OT:

Two weeks ago I had the 'Beer Manager' at Goody Goody tell me that Lagunitas Lil Sumpin "is being discontinued so they will have room for one of their new beers". I haven't found anything to confirm that either. Makes me wonder where such information comes from.

Distributors.

Probably it is being discontinued from that specific store/chain and not everywhere. It was a slow enough seller they move on and try new things to fill the slot.

This.

After trying the different ones, I prefer the original Guinness (non-Foreign) Extra Stout anyway...so it does not matter even if they did discontinue...

They are going all in on their Nitro IPA...

Oh, God, please, no!

I like Extra stout better than the original dry stout. Except for that one time I bought a few original to taste compare with my homebrew version (Had to make it for a club competition) I haven't bought any original since the wife and I went to see Extreme in concert on their reunion tour a (more than a few) years back!

I haven't seen Foreign Extra Stout around in my market in eons. It got a big push when Guinness made it available in the U.S., but it went away quickly.

I always found it too sweet. I greatly prefer the "regular" extra stout.

I haven't seen Foreign Extra Stout around in my market in eons. It got a big push when Guinness made it available in the U.S., but it went away quickly.

I always found it too sweet. I greatly prefer the "regular" extra stout.

Wow. Too sweet?

Domestic FES pales in sweetness compared to the FES found in asiatic markets. FES found in Malaysia is dang near a milk stout, IMO, in sweetness.

And worse, there is a sweeter version (or used to be) called the Island Stout.

Oh, God, please, no!

I like Extra stout better than the original dry stout. Except for that one time I bought a few original to taste compare with my homebrew version (Had to make it for a club competition) I haven't bought any original since the wife and I went to see Extreme in concert on their reunion tour a (more than a few) years back!

I seriously think the nitro ipa is one of the worst beers ever made. I got a 6 pack for free and couldn't finish it.

I seriously think the nitro ipa is one of the worst beers ever made. I got a 6 pack for free and couldn't finish it.

I stupidly bought a 6-pack (They didn't offer it in singles) and choked them down. I'm not normally a fan of most nitro beers anyway, but this one was awful. Maybe they like it in Europe.

Not released in europe as far as I know. Sounds hideous, I have heard it compared to boddingtons and we don't need more crap like that

Guinness have a long history of releasing **** beers, like their lager, golden ale, black lager, bitter etc.

I just stick to the FES now, the Nigerian one is a favourite although the Special Export Stout for the belgian market is the best they do.

I can confirm that Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is discontinued in at least the US market. TotalWine has it marked as "supplier discontinued" in their system.

Pretty sad, it was my replacement for Tilburg's Dutch Brown after it went out of business. Now I don't know of another beer quite like it. Anyone have recommendations?

I can confirm that Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is discontinued in at least the US market. TotalWine has it marked as "supplier discontinued" in their system.

Pretty sad, it was my replacement for Tilburg's Dutch Brown after it went out of business. Now I don't know of another beer quite like it. Anyone have recommendations?

Make your own?

Where can you find any information on how to do that?

The BJCP has a website (bjcp.org) that lists styles and their characteristics and descriptions of their common ingredients, plus some commercial beers that match the guidelines pretty well. I would start there.

You may also Google homebrew recipes for this style and see what others are putting into their beers. See if there are ingredients showing up in the search results over and over. It's a good bet that ingredient is noted for being in the original recipe.

Formulate a recipe based on what you know is included in the original, plus interpreting what you think is likely to be in there based on the commonality of homebrew ingredients.

Match characteristics in your recipe to those listed for the beer. ABV, OG, IBUs, SRM, Body, Flavor notes... I use Beersmith and it's easy to visually see how modifying the recipe influences these characteristics.

Brew it to the specs you formulated. Taste it and compare with the original (if you can get it.)

I did this with a Dry Stout for a club competition. When the beer was done, I didn't think it was a real close clone to Guinness. After pouring them side-by-side, and tasting, I changed my mind. Besides a very slight difference in color, and the obvious difference in foam, the two were amazingly similar.

One thing that helped was that Guinness is a very well known beer, and the style is very often replicated. it was pretty easy to note the similarities between the recipes. I suspect it won't be too hard to formulate a recipe for the Extra Stout as well.

The BJCP has a website (bjcp.org) that lists styles and their characteristics and descriptions of their common ingredients, plus some commercial beers that match the guidelines pretty well. I would start there.

You may also Google homebrew recipes for this style and see what others are putting into their beers. See if there are ingredients showing up in the search results over and over. It's a good bet that ingredient is noted for being in the original recipe.

Formulate a recipe based on what you know is included in the original, plus interpreting what you think is likely to be in there based on the commonality of homebrew ingredients.

Match characteristics in your recipe to those listed for the beer. ABV, OG, IBUs, SRM, Body, Flavor notes... I use Beersmith and it's easy to visually see how modifying the recipe influences these characteristics.

Brew it to the specs you formulated. Taste it and compare with the original (if you can get it.)

I did this with a Dry Stout for a club competition. When the beer was done, I didn't think it was a real close clone to Guinness. After pouring them side-by-side, and tasting, I changed my mind. Besides a very slight difference in color, and the obvious difference in foam, the two were amazingly similar.

One thing that helped was that Guinness is a very well known beer, and the style is very often replicated. it was pretty easy to note the similarities between the recipes. I suspect it won't be too hard to formulate a recipe for the Extra Stout as well.

My comment was made "tongue in cheek." Now I feel bad because you took the time to write a detailed and helpful answer.

It's never been not available in the stores around me. Bought a 4 pack last night in Traverse City, and it was NOT 4 years old.

I suspect what happened was the OP hit the point at which they switched from FES imported from Dublin to FES brewed at their brewery in Maryland that opened 2-3 years ago.

Or they eg switched distributors ahead of the new brewery opening, or whatever.

Any update? Hopefully she has been able to get her life back on track.

She's halfway through her teaching degree, and as far as I know, no pole dancing. I don't think that's her style, thank God. But with the high cost of higher education these days, I wouldn't blame her!

Latest posts

Back