Had to cut open LME container, need advice before brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ido50

Reaction score
Well, I was just about to start brewing a hefeweizen from extract. I started heating up water and when it reached boiling went to open the LME plastic jug (this is a Weyermann Bavarian Hefeweizen extract), only to find that the cap is completely stuck and cannot be moved (these packages are terrible, no grip on the cap at all).

So anyway I wound up cutting the cap with a knife to get it off, something which, I believe, created lots of tiny plastic specks fall into the extract. I'm currently running it through two strainers and have already found one not-so-small plastic bit in the strainer.

I'm probably panicking for nothing, but I'm not sure if I should go ahead and brew this beer or not. If anything, this is probably a very small amount of plastic that found its way into the extract, but I have my doubts about brewing this.

What do you say?

Thanks for your view on this. I think I should emphasize that I haven't boiled the extract yet, I'm running it through a strainer pre-boil, so whatever plastic bits are in there will just melt in the boil I think, I'm not sure anything is going to settle anywhere.

run with it. Boil it, strain the wort, and bottle off the top and youre golden. Heat will melt the plastic and it will go to the bottom so straining the wort will remove any hops particles. sludge and plastic. Once it is done fermenting just make sure to not kick up the trub and you'll be just fine.
Bob

If your friends drink a lot of your brew like mine do, you probably won't even end up ingesting the plastic yourself. LOL. Just roll with it. RDWHAHB!! Just think of it as adding flavor!

Latest posts

Back