Hank Hill.... Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerthirty

big beers turn my gears
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up a few forklift propane tanks that are made to be used horizontally. The local propane places are not being very helpful in my quest to use these on my brew trailer.
I have been told that with the current valve configuration, they are meant to dispense liquid instead of gas and that if the valves were switched I could use them upright to dispense gas. Unfortunately they don't want to sell the adapters to hook up to my hi-pressure regulator and if they did then they would want to charge me for hydro testing after the valves were switched.
The questions I have are,
1) Is it feasible to use a dual regulator setup(similar to a forklift fuel system)?
2) what parts would be needed?
3) could a single liquid to gas regulator be used so I could plumb in my existing hi-pressure regulator?
I'm a heavy equipment mechanic so I understand the dangers of hi pressure liquids and gasses. I have the tooling to do the job but very little experience with propane. These tanks are new, aluminum (lightweight) and larger than my current single tank. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm not Hank Hill, but I watch him on TV :D I am in the RV industry so I do have some experience with propane.

I'm pretty sure the valves must be changed to be useful to you, because you need the vapor and not the liquid. Basically they have a dip tube behind the valve to ensure that only liquid comes out instead of the vapor on top. I'm not aware of any liquid to vapor regulator that could be used externally.

Some fixed RV horizontal tanks have a liquid valve for an LP generator and a vapor valve for the gas appliances, they wouldn't do that if there was an easy way to convert externally.

Back