Harvest time yet????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawdawg

Reaction score
I have second year Cascade plants in SW Virginia area that feel papery and crunchy on the outside but still feel kinda plump and slightly wet on the inside. They are finally starting to smell more "hoppy" and less "grassy." Many of them are browning a bit on the outside but not in a bad way yet. This will be my first actual harvest and I don't want to pick to soon or too late so I'm trying to gauge the right time to pick. Should the cones feel kinda dry throughout or is it normal for them to be dry on the outside and plump and "wet-ish" on the inside. Maybe I should leave them alone for another week or so. I would appreciate some feedback from more experienced growers. Looking forward to brewing a wet hopped brew if I can get lucky on the timing.............Thanks and cheers!

Some of mine are massive too but they are really just starting to lose the grassy smell. We have also had a lot of rain this year which may have an effect on the paper feel but I'm just not sure. I really want to pick them this weekend and do a wet hop brew but I'm just not sure if it's too soon since they are just starting to smell like hops. Thanks for the reply.

Probably too soon. Squeeze one and see if it bounces back into shape. Pull one off and cut it in half. How much lupulin? How does it smell?

Back