Haven't done extract in forever - critique ESB please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Well, I was off brewing all together for about a year and before that I was doing AG batches. I am getting back into the swing of thing with a new home and more space, but now I have home improvement projects keeping me busy and can't find 6 hours to do an AG. BUT... I have 4 kegs to fill. So, until I can find time to brew up the couple AG recipes I've put together and ordered ingredients for I wanted to do an ESB with extract that I could do on my stove-top... back to the good old days of 3.5g boils and top-off. LOL.

Let me know what you think. I had all of this in inventory except for 3lb. of DME, so it could work out nicely. I also have many selections of hops, other crystal grains, etc. if there are modifications needed there. I did prefer giving it the "American touch" with the use of some Cascade with the EKG though:

Estimated IBU: 31.7 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
5g Batch
1.049OG, 1.013FG
3.5g Stovetop Boil, with topoff. Late extract addition.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.75 lb Light Dry Extract
2.75 lb Light Dry Extract - Late Addition - 15 Min
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [3.75 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [3.75 %] (30 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [3.75 %] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Steep grains as desired (30 minutes)

Notes:
------
No time to brew all-grain. Threw together this extract and specialty grain ESB...

Oh one more item - most of these hops were about 12 months old. The EKG were originally 6.2% and the Cascade 6.9%, but I used the calculator in Beersmith to come up with these % based upon type of packaging and storage (frozen all but last 2 weeks). Do you think I have compensated enough for the AA% loss or have I compensated too much?

At this point I think the IBUs are REALLY a guess but I figured if I shot for ~32 and got in the 25-40 range, the beer should be great.

How big is your batch and what is your OG?

Not sure why I didn't copy and paste that from Beersmith. Estimated OG 1.054, estimated FG 1.014. Hence, a 5g batch.

Not a fan of partial boil, but in this case I plan to boil 3.5g down to 3 or so, then top off to 5.

God, I can't wait until I can find time to get back to AG and full boils... gahhhh.

That still looks like a lot of hops for an ESB. That looks more like an english IPA, even if the hops are a bit old. Cascade seems a bit off style as well. I'd probably stick with EKG only, and scale the hops back to 2 or 2.5 oz, with very little as aroma additions, as ESBs have very little hop nose.

The malt/grain bill looks just fine though. I usually use a little bit of biscuit malt in my ESBs, or victory if you cant get biscuit.

That still looks like a lot of hops for an ESB. That looks more like an english IPA, even if the hops are a bit old. Cascade seems a bit off style as well. I'd probably stick with EKG only, and scale the hops back to 2 or 2.5 oz, with very little as aroma additions, as ESBs have very little hop nose.

The malt/grain bill looks just fine though. I usually use a little bit of biscuit malt in my ESBs, or victory if you cant get biscuit.

Thanks for the input - I made some minor tweaks based on your suggestions, but stayed somewhat true to original recipe b/c I am not trying to brew an "authentic English ESB" for a competition or anything. I am trying to brew something similar, but something that also fits my taste and is a little experimental (like trying EKG/Cascades mix).

Basically, I backed off some of the late hops by cutting the additions in half (from 2oz total late to only 1oz) and moving them up in the boil to 10 minutes (from 5). I'll still get some aroma, but for me thats OK. If I miss ESB style due to a little too much aroma, fine by me, this time around.

I was hoping to get my "biscuit" and "toasty" flavors from the Special Roast. I had this on hand and just wanted to use it up... seems to fit the bill?

I actually don't think a small amount of cascades at the end is going to kill you. I wouldn't do an entire ounce, but it may actually add a little.

I actually don't think a small amount of cascades at the end is going to kill you. I wouldn't do an entire ounce, but it may actually add a little.

Yeah, cut back to .5oz along with .5oz EKG at 10.

I was shooting for something that might be goose island honkers-ale-esque. Not a clone per se, but something in that style range - color, hop flavors, etc.

I know their website says Styrian Goldings hops, but I didn't have any on hand (hence using EKG, plus its a staple in a lot of ESB) and I always pick up some citrusy hints from honkers. Hence, why I went with a little Cascade for flavor and aroma.

I think the Special Roast is a nice touch, as is the touch of citrus from the Cascades amongst the herbal notes of the EKG.

I don't think the Vienna is worthwhile, though. Both Special Roast and Vienna need to be mashed in order to extract all the worthwhile "stuff". Special Roast can be steeped for flavor and color contributions. But you really can't get anything out of Vienna unless it's mashed. Me, I'd go for a full pound of 40L Crystal, delete the Vienna and keep the Special Roast.

Regards,

Bob

P.S. Welcome back! :mug:

I thought about the Vienna thing... and I might do a kind of, sort of mini-mash stovetop. I.e. get the right amount of water to 155F and "steep" for an hour in a grain bag. If I do I'll go to a full lb. of the stuff.

If not, I agree with replacing it with 40L, but not sure I have more than 1/2lb. so I'll go with 60L in that case.

Back